1976 Mercury 1500 - What is this nipple / stem for?

Kargh

Seaman
Noticed this on the motor the other day when I removed the fuel pump. Nothing is connected to it and I can't find any mention of it in the service manual or parts list. Is it important? Does anything connect to it?

You can see it on the right side of the image.

Attachments

• photo264406.jpg
    photo264406.jpg
    83.8 KB · Views: 0

racerone

Supreme Mariner
There should be a hose that goes from the bottom of the block to a similar fitting at the top bearing.--------small diameter hose.---------It is for recirculating oil.

Kargh

Seaman
There is a hose that I found not connected to anything. The bottom of it is a bit gummy / sticky from something though I'm not sure what. The hose itself reminds of the type of hose you might use for wiper washer fluid. That hose definite runs to a fitting on the top. I'll post a picture of it later today just to verify. The hose itself seems about twice diameter of the stem though and easily slides on/off.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
I do not need a picture of that hose !-----------Hurry run to a shop and get a replacement hose !

Kargh

Seaman
This might seem silly but what oil is recirculating through there? I can't find any information on this in any of the books I have.

Thanks!

racerone

Supreme Mariner
The oil that is mixed with the gas !----I could go out and look at 6 or more inline blocks that have this hose installed.---No mystery for me.

Kargh

Seaman
Roger -- That was my assumption but I just wanted to make sure. No idea how long that hose has been off but I cut a new chunk and replaced it. New one fits much tighter.