High Altitude Jetting for 2004 15HP Mercury

SierraSkier

Recruit
Repowering my fishing boat with a 2004 15HP Mercury that will live at altitudes between 6,700ft and 8,000ft. What brand of carburetor did Mercury use in this era of engine? What brand of jets? Mikuni, Keihin, other? Thank you.

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
Check the parts diagram, sometimes they'll list a high altitude jetting option, other times you need to ask a knowledgeable dealer for the info. The brand of carb is irrelevant other than for curiosities sake. These motors came jetted very lean, so it may not need that much fiddling with to make it run better at higher elevation.

SierraSkier

Recruit
Mercury doesn't have a high altitude / alternate jetting selection in their parts diagrams. I already removed the plugs covering the idle air screw to try and get the mixture dialed in better, but it has negligible change, which tells me the jetting definitely is off (seen this before with re-jetting dirt bikes for the same altitude many times). I did a little more digging and this a Teikei carburetor, which makes sense as the power head for this motor was made by Tohatsu. The Tohatsu parts diagram for their outboards shows a different carburetor than Mercury, so it's unclear if these jets would be compatible with my carb. Does Tohatsu offer alternate main and pilot jets?