Mercury 3.5 HP 4 stroke Will not start please help!

antx227

Recruit
I got a ticket today for parking my boat in front of my house (on the lawn) and I wanted to fix it asap before moving it over to the lake. I have a 3.5hp 4 stroke (1F03211HK) that will not start for the life of me. I brought it home and changed the engine oil, gear oil, spark plug and I took apart the carb and dipped it overnight thinking the jets were what was clogged. I sprayed the carb with compressed air to dry and put it on hoping it would start, but nothing. I received the motor not working so I can't tell how it ran before. I tossed the old fuel and put in new gas as well. Am I missing something? I pulled the choke, turned the gas switch on and opened the gas vent and nothing when I pull. If someone can please help me before my neighbors call the cops again... I really wanted to save money by doing the work myself and if I can't get it done tomorrow I need to bring it to the shop.
frown.png

antx227

Recruit
Did you check to see if there was spark?

I have not tried to do that. I'll check for it tomorrow and see I guess I was just assuming it would since it was a new spark plug which was stupid. Thanks for the advise I'll let you know~

antx227

Recruit
Hey guys I was hoping I can get some help again... I brought it over to the shop and originally they told me it was the ignition switch. I specifically told the mechanic that if that is not the only problem its not even worth it for me to replace. So I agree and I get a phone call that its replaced, but the fuel pump needs to replaced as well since its leaking fuel. He felt bad and advised that he will only charge me for parts...

After agreeing to replace the pump a few days later I get a call telling me that the carb now needs to replaced and that it will not stay on unless he accelerates. Such a pain in the ass this motor I'm telling you. I feel like I got ripped off pretty bad... the money I put in for a motor that still does not work and I have plans to go out a a few days too. After talking back and forth he told me he would just charge me for parts which came out to about 250. I can't believe it...

So what I needed advice on was he gave me 2 options... Take the motor back with no coil and pump since he tossed them already or keep the new parts in and charge me 250 and now I need to find a new carb. Any advice at this point would be greatly appreciated. Learn from my mistakes. Thanks in advance guys~

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
If it runs perfect at least you would have a motor for $250.

​Most of the time carbs are replaced not because they can't be fixed, but because it's more cost effective for the shop to just replace it, and also because they can't legally adjust it (EPA rules). If you still have the carb it can most likely be fixed. Tossing out parts is a big no no in the repair business, they should be given to the customer when they pick up the motor.

antx227

Recruit
If it runs perfect at least you would have a motor for $250.

​Most of the time carbs are replaced not because they can't be fixed, but because it's more cost effective for the shop to just replace it, and also because they can't legally adjust it (EPA rules). If you still have the carb it can most likely be fixed. Tossing out parts is a big no no in the repair business, they should be given to the customer when they pick up the motor.

Thanks for your repsonse! $250 would be just for the pump and the coil... I still need to put up money to take care of the carb for it to run perfect. Its so hard to find a mechanic you can trust... At this point im thinking of just selling the boat as is and moving on.

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
The carb should cost almost nothing to fix, maybe an hour of cleaning.