Merc 90 4-stroke oil change - oil capacity question

Steveatpa

Seaman Apprentice
Just did the first oil change on my new to me 2006 Merc 90 4-stroke. Very clean, well taken care of engine.
I'm not a novice to mechanics by any means either and always feel its best to check informational sources before attempting something for the first time. So I did just that and from what I found, it seems that most sources are VERY particular about getting the oil volume in the crosshatch area of the dipstick. Not the top, not the bottom, but within the area.

Now that said, I know most people are fearful of running ANY amount of oil over the crosshatch in their engines (cars, trucks, etc.) so I understand the heeding, but the level of concern I was hearing was seemingly high during my research.

Reading the manual, the engine calls for 4.8 quarts capacity. I checked the level prior to draining and it was just about to the top of the crosshatch. So I drained what was in there and came up with 4 quarts. Then I replaced as per the manual (4.8 qts) only to find the oil is now well above the crosshatch. Hmmm..... Whats the deal? I didnt overfill since I used the amount specified by the manual, but clearly it seems somethings not right.

So I'm curious as to how many others run into this problem? Since I'm running the specified volume, I'm apt to leave it as it is and run it. Could the dipstick be wrong? Do most people really pay attention to whether or not their oil level is "within" the crosshatch or do they fill and go? Thanks everyone.

Steveatpa

Seaman Apprentice
So no concern as to why the "specified" 4.8 quarts appears to be too much oil.....?

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
That's for a completely empty and dry crankcase, after the first fill there's always some left in the motor.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
I have the exact same engine. 4.8 qts fills it up perfectly.

Did you drain it per the service manual? You have to turn the engine and tilt it.

Steveatpa

Seaman Apprentice
Thanks for the reply. Yes, I did exactly per the manual.....and as I've also seen in many various video's showing the process of how the oil can get trapped outside the sump. Given this is my first go around with this motor, I'm going to play with the volume and see how sensitive it is to the fill amounts.

Given you have the same motor and fill the same amount maybe I unknowingly didnt get ALL the old oil out. I understand Yamaha sumps are cone shaped and are VERY sensitive to positioning in order to get a correct reading on the dipstick. I'm not sure if Merc's are the same.....

Steveatpa

Seaman Apprentice
Yes, I took into account the filter capacity, and replaced the filter as well. But nonetheless, I just drained out almost a quart and the oil now sits almost to the top of the crosshatch. So.....the only conclusion I can come up with is that when draining the oil not all of the old oil made its way out. Live and learn..... Now I know.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
You are doing something wrong. Draining one quart of oil from an engine that calls for 4.8 quarts with a new filter indicates an error was created. The engine must be vertical, not tilted up when checking or filling the crankcase. You then need to RUN the engine to fill the oil filter. THEN check the oil level AFTER stopping the engine and the oil has had a chance to run back to the crankcase (10 minutes or so).

Steveatpa

Seaman Apprentice
This is the procedure I followed.....which was also per the Mercury owners manual for the year engine I have.

Lift motor to the trailering position.
Turn engine to the left so the drain plug is facing downward.
Open drain plug and let the oil drain into container. (did so for about 20-30 min and got about 4 qts total) Replace plug.
Remove oil filter and replace with new filter.
Place engine in the vertical "run" position and fill with new oil.
Start and idle engine for approx 5 min.
Let engine sit for at least 10 min and check oil level.

So based on what I just described, what could I have done wrong to leave almost a quart of oil trapped in the engine?

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
I wonder if there is an issue with the dipstick. I can measure the one from my engine if you want.