1988 Mercury Classic 50 Stalling

Sammy K

Cadet
Hi, my outboard starts and idles fine, but when I throttle up it runs good for only 15 - 20 seconds, then starts to stall out - unless I drop it back to idle quickly. If I wait maybe 30 seconds or so it will throttle up once again but then starts to stall out after 15 - 20 seconds. I had my son squeeze the fuel bulb when I got to WOT but it didn't help. Could this still be a fuel pump problem even though squeezing fuel bulb makes no difference? Thanks.

Sammy K

Cadet
I found the fuel line going to fuel pump was pinched under the bottom carb. Fixed and took it back to the lake and it ran great for about 10 minutes this time - then a new stalling problem happened. I was throttling back from WOT and before reaching the idling position it stalled out and I was unable to restart it. About a half hour later when I got home it started right up first shot on the muffs in my driveway. Problem is not the fuel tank venting - I checked that out before leaving the lake. Does anybody have any other suggestions? Thanks