Mercury 15 hp 4 stroke lower unit

thibs23

Recruit
Good morning,
So I purchased a 15 hp merc 4 stroke 2004 with a severely bent and twisted prop shaft that I am going to fix. Took the prop off, which slid off the shaft easily, and was going to try to remove the shaft so I loosened the three screws which attach to the gear housing plate to remove the gear housing assembly. I then wacked it a couple times with a rubber mallet to loosen, it did not loosen easily so, being a novice with little experience, I decided to wait and get more advice before proceeding. I retightened the three loose bolts to the gear housing plate, put the prop back on and for some reason it does not appear the prop goes onto the shaft as far as it previously did, probably within about 1/8". It does appear to be as far as it can go and up against the plate washer or part mounted in the housing? So, my question is, when I loosened the three mounting screws to the housing plate, did it do something internally that would have created this problem or is there another simpler reason why I believe the prop is out a little further than before? Thanks

racerone

Supreme Mariner
You are aware that the propshaft bearing carrier is a left hand thread ??----Loosening those 3 screws has nothing to do with internals.

thibs23

Recruit
I am aware and, no, I did not think loosening the screws had anything to do with the problem, just wanted to be sure. Thanks very much.