Just drug home a 1971 Mercury 650 on a Cobia 15' trihull.

softdown

Petty Officer 2nd Class
No idea what to expect. The last owner was an older railroad mechanic who "had no idea if it will start or not." He wanted the yard room back apparently and had not used the boat in "4-5 years."

The boat hull looks very good and is pretty heavy. Truck gas mileage took a pretty significant hit. The floor carpeting is just shot. There is also a 4hp Mercury trolling motor with a built in gas tank. It seems like it may not be very old.

If the weather co-operates, I will know a lot more by noon tomorrow. In the meantime.....any suggestions?

I need a strong motorboat to retrieve my newly acquired (and large mistake to date) 5500 pound sailboat from the labyrinthine California Delta. The Yanmar was yanked from the S2 sailboat and promises to be a project to get re-installed and running.

I'm feeling pretty good about this purchase so far. Are '71 650's known for peculiar things?

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
If it is a 1971 Two red stripes on the cowl, one above, one below the name Mercury
4 cylinder(the last year for the 4 cylinder version)
62.4 cu in
Gear ratio, I'm not 100% certain but I think it is 2.3:1
fuel mix 50:1

There is a link for waking an outboard http://forums.iboats.com/forum/engi...231-awakening-a-sleeping-outboard-by-boatbuoy

I would be replacing the water pump impeller before running it. It hasn't run in 4 or 5 yrs so the impeller has taken a set and will probably not do a very good job of pumping water for long. I wonder if the engine was prepped for storage, or just shut off after its last run.
But before even doing that, a compression test should be done.

You say the boat is "pretty heavy" and "the floor carpeting is shot". Hopefully the foam under the floor isn't water logged. Is the floor still solid, or does it feel a bit mushy?

Sorry to sound like I'm peeing on your parade but buying any used boat and motor is kind of like buying a Pig in a Poke

softdown

Petty Officer 2nd Class
If it is a 1971 Two red stripes on the cowl, one above, one below the name Mercury
4 cylinder(the last year for the 4 cylinder version)
62.4 cu in
Gear ratio, I'm not 100% certain but I think it is 2.3:1
fuel mix 50:1

There is a link for waking an outboard http://forums.iboats.com/forum/engin...rd-by-boatbuoy

I would be replacing the water pump impeller before running it. It hasn't run in 4 or 5 yrs so the impeller has taken a set and will probably not do a very good job of pumping water for long. I wonder if the engine was prepped for storage, or just shut off after its last run.
But before even doing that, a compression test should be done.

You say the boat is "pretty heavy" and "the floor carpeting is shot". Hopefully the foam under the floor isn't water logged. Is the floor still solid, or does it feel a bit mushy?

Sorry to sound like I'm peeing on your parade but buying any used boat and motor is kind of like buying a Pig in a Poke

Yes....it has the red stripes that you described. I already have a 65HP Merc which I have yet to go over. I decided to play with outboards since I have rebuilt many carbs and have nothing but time.

It has vinyl.....not carpet. Just need a heat gun and a lot of patience I would think.

Impellers are automatic on anything that has sat....along with lower gear fluid. Compression as well of course.

Thanks for the waking link!

Wonder if the impeller bought for the '57 40hp Mark 55 would work. I have a sailboat slip deadline that I am working against.

Last edited:

softdown

Petty Officer 2nd Class
No you need another impeller.---------Last 2 numbers are 84 in the part #

Thank you!

Great news! It started and sounded like a champ with one cylinder being out due to compression check. It showed 100 but was marked 110. When it had 110 is anybodies guess. Perhaps being warm or warmed up would help. I was working around 35F after a cold night. only ran it for a couple seconds without water to cool it.

The bottom is too large to slip a water barrel over. I don't have pressurized water unless I go through considerable rig-a-mo-row and run a long hose from the well output. That would be why I buy "pigs in a poke"....used stuff. Trying to save money, maybe even make a buck.

Filled the lower unit and grease oozed out of the bottom water intake hole on both sides. Is that natural?

The little 4HP holds about 1 gallon of gas and seems almost unused. It ran for a couple seconds. Keeps flooding....gas squirts out every time I pull the rope. So pulling it more is likely counter productive.

Last edited:

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
Well it sounds like the lower unit needs a reseal, or at least new seals under the water pump. What kind of gear oil are you using, you said "grease oozed out"? Better yet, pressure and vacuum test the gearcase
Since you are replacing the impeller the dry run is of little consequence, but once the new impeller is in don't do it again, they need water as their lube

softdown

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Well it sounds like the lower unit needs a reseal, or at least new seals under the water pump. What kind of gear oil are you using, you said "grease oozed out"? Better yet, pressure and vacuum test the gearcase
Since you are replacing the impeller the dry run is of little consequence, but once the new impeller is in don't do it again, they need water as their lube

Yes....I now realize that I screwed up by running for a bit without water. Probably 2-3 seconds. Dang.....then I ordered a bare impeller. I have about twenty urgent projects which tends to create a little "short circuiting". Dang.

Gear oil is 85/90 as I recall. The wind drove me back indoors.

Last edited:

softdown

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Three short,fat screws on the lower unit. Think I filled the wrong screw.

Last edited: