How many have deleted the oil mix system on their Black Max?

How many have deleted the oil mix system on their Black Max?

• Full delete including crank gear

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Delete, but left crank gear (Replace shaft to keep bushing in place)

Votes: 1 33.3%
  • Delete by bypassing oil output back to tank

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Stock, still use the oil mixer

Votes: 2 66.7%

• Total voters

Glastron_V210

Petty Officer 1st Class
I just picked up a 1990 135 Black Max. Couldn't say no, it was too nice. It's completely stock, including the oil mix system. Now, whether to delete it and premix or not? I'm trying to get an idea of the percentage that have deleted them...and what style of delete is most done.

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner
I can't answer your question as I disabled it on a 90, not a black max. I removed the pump assy, pulled the gear and it's attached shaft, checked for any loose parts that I might need to pull also...finding none, and put the pump assy back in the engine. Added my 1 pt to 6 gallons and did nothing else. Been several years ago and still going strong.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
There are a lot of iboaters that have switch their VRO engines to fuel mix options. However, how many did it to their 1990 135 Back Max engines, I have no idea. I often wonder how many haven't switch theirs and are running just fine? If there were that much problems with VRO's, you would think the manufacturers would have eliminated them instantly. :noidea:

Tjy7510

Cadet
Here is what a friend of mine who works at a Marine service said. He said if it is working good on a newer engine rely on the alarms that tell you when you are starting to have an issue and under warranty still. For older engines pull it off and go to a oil mix. These 2 stroke engines without a working VLO system will fry your engine. Better safe knowing you have control of it. It will smoke more and plugs will foul but plugs are cheep. If your using it to get out to fish and using a 4 stroke kicker motor to troll won't be much of an issue. Your call? Good luck

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner
Mine was working just fine on my 2002 engine in 2015 when I took it out. Just figured engine getting old, one less thing to worry about, knowing the catastrophic damage that would occur with oil, knowing that the alarms are for OT and low oil in the tank, none indicating that the pump is actually pumping oil and the engine is getting it in the gas so I just removed it. By the time you get to OT for an inop oil source time to start looking for a replacement powerhead. The OT sensor is at the rear of the block plugged into the water jacket cover(s) monitoring water temp....143F is the stat opening temp and 195F is the OT closing temp.

sam am I

Commander
92 175 ran it stock 25yrs spring/summer/fall fishing (catches still as of a few days ago ;)) mainly, no problems. Rebuilt the motor (bore, pistons, rings), no abnormal sign of wear anywhere in oilier system, lucky? Nah, just kept good care of the motor, never made a race engine out of it. Kept/keeping it stock..........cept for adding a sensor system for oil flow/pressure (lil paranoid perhaps, might be organically induced though)

SAM_0461.JPG SAM_0456.JPG

Oh and no fish were harmed in the making of this post, all fish were released unharmed in the water/area to which they originated.....

Last edited:

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner
92 175 ran it stock 25yrs spring/summer/fall fishing (catches still as of a few days ago ;)) mainly, no problems. Rebuilt the motor (bore, pistons, rings), no abnormal sign of wear anywhere in oilier system, lucky? Nah, just kept good care of the motor, never made a race engine out of it. Kept/keeping it stock..........cept for adding a sensor system for oil flow/pressure (lil paranoid perhaps, might be organically induced though)

Oh and no fish were harmed in the making of this post, all fish were released unharmed in the water/area to which they originated.....

Sam, the tree huggers will love you for the post comment. Grin