1994 Twin 135 HP Mercs Can they be silenced??

kramerpage

Chief Petty Officer
The kids probably want them louder. Im used to I/O. These motors are loud. Can you insulate them? Why and or what is so loud in them? They run great. Lots of power but man the noise...Thanks

flyingscott

Fleet Admiral
Not really anything you can do about the noise. I wouldn't insulate anything especially inside the hood that will trap heat and will not be good for the electronics. 2 strks tend to be louder than 4 strokes overall and you have to remember I/O motors sit in an insulated box whereas the outboard sits completely out in the open.

kramerpage

Chief Petty Officer
Ok well your knowledge makes sense. Electronics get too hot now. Went out on Lake Cumberland last week with a 150 Suzuki 4 stroke and it was amazingly quiet. Thank you for reply.

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
I always thought the 135 was a fairly quiet engine.

kramerpage

Chief Petty Officer
No Title

I don't have much to compare it to since all my boats over the years were i/o or inboard. That new Susuki was so quiet i didnt know it was running while idling. I have never owned a 4 cycle motor. The FISH liked it too.

Attachments

• photo263753.jpg
    photo263753.jpg
    51.3 KB · Views: 0

merc850

Commander
Since you have 2 motors the sound level is probably 4 times a single one due to harmonics.

kramerpage

Chief Petty Officer
Im sure thats also true with twins. I know when they run on muffs at the marina they are way loud. Guys at marina say those are great engines hang on to them. Like its an old hot rod. But maybe like an old hot rod they need alot of care compared to an i/o. seams like its always this and that due to age I would think.
All boats are a double edge sword. I can fish in freezing temps on Lake Erie where with the i/o I can only listen to fish stories at the dock.

thomas15

Seaman Apprentice
When I was a kid we had a 1952 Evanrude fastwin (14 HP). This was before they had thru the prop exhaust. That motor was, in a word, loud. Much louder than my 2005 Mercury 50 HP 2 stroke.

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
The noisiest outboards I have heard on the muffs are OMC 120 - 140 V4 loopers. But like all these outboards, they shut up immensely when in the water. My 150 Ficht when run on the muffs, sounded almost as lame/quiet as a 4 stroke