CDI box question

Kayablue

Cadet
I have a 1967 Mercury 650 4 cylinder outboard it ran fine up to last year the switch box went out on it I replaced the switch box with updated CDI box after 20 minutes of running it fried the trigger switch I replaced the trigger switch with a New Old Stock and it ran for about 20 minutes again and fried the trigger switch the new CDI box only has 4 wires power and three wires to the distributor trigger switch the three wires to distributor are color-coded and matchthe CDI box the regulator has also been replaced what would cause the trigger switch to keep frying? When I bought the new CDI box was I supposed to get an updated trigger switch to handle a voltage difference or what's going on here?

merc850

Commander
I think this is CDI's problem have you talked to them? They do have a trigger and maybe you have to use it with their box; I have their trigger in my motor with a OEM box it's worked for 6 yrs.so far. They also say to not exceed 16v or you'll fry it so maybe your charging system exceeded that passed on to your trigger.

Kayablue

Cadet
I havent seen a trigger available from them. The highest voltage ive seen is 14.6 @ 5500 rpms. I dont run wot very often. I will have to give them a call.

Kayablue

Cadet
No Title

Attachments

• photo263720.jpg
    photo263720.jpg
    72.1 KB · Views: 0
  • photo263721.jpg
    photo263721.jpg
    79.9 KB · Views: 0

Kayablue

Cadet
My engine isn't listed on the link you posted I have a 1967 Mercury 650 65 hp 4-cylinder electric start with the Thunderbolt ignition serial number 216 4697

merc850

Commander
I've never seen that assembly and I don't have the 1967-1974 manual, it sort of looks like someone adapted a trigger from another model; this could be a factory modification. In 1967 that model was available with a magneto or TBolt - you have the magneto adapter on the top and TBolt? trigger below, I don't know whether the CDI unit will be the same length.
It looks like factory work to me - the newer cap is round and held on with a clamp so you would have to find one to fit on the CDI trigger. Here are the dimensions of the round cap type
triggerhousing.jpg

Last edited:

Kayablue

Cadet
It has a stator and Rectifier electric start and electric choke it's the Thunderbolt ignition

merc850

Commander
OK but it's a different version of trigger than CDI's or the later one that I showed you so I'm saying that you'd have to replace the whole trigger housing with the round style and find a cap. It's possible that the CDI box caused the failure due to voltage/wiring differences.

Kayablue

Cadet
When you say cap your talking distributor cap right? Would the orignal rotor work still ?