1980 50 HP 2-Stroke Carb Leaking

Bassn7

Seaman
So I checked and cleaned the float, bowl and seat. When I pump the ball, gas shoots out of a hole at the top right corner of the carb. This hole has a slot so it is removable for some reason. Help! Anyone know why it comes out of there instead of keeping the priming ball hard? It's spraying gas into the engine case. Not good. When I blow into the gas line and lift the float it does seal good. Thanks in advance for any guidance.

joeanna

Petty Officer 2nd Class
did you also check the float height while the carb was off the motor?

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
That brass jet is likely the backdraft jet. If fuel comes out of it, the carb is flooding. Recheck the float height.

Bassn7

Seaman
I just want to understand this correctly. The gas is flowing out of the "backdraft jet as I pump the ball. So is the float never closing? Or is it closing too high? Or is the ball pressure over riding the float needle? Thanks for your help here.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
If fuel is flowing out of the backdraft jet, the inlet needle is not closing properly. Either the inlet needle and seat are worn or damaged, or the float is bad or the float height adjustment is wrong.

You could force fuel past a correctly seated inlet needle, but it would be difficult, and you would know you are doing it, I would hope.