18 months since started

owen jones

Cadet
hi all new member,just purchased a mercury thunderbolt 20hp the guy said it was running ok 18months ago but has not run since.im new to outboards what should i check and service it.pull the cord it turns ok and good compression,would you advise to try to start it and see how it goes any advice great full

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
Give it a few pulls and see if it starts, if it does, great, if not you can start troubleshooting. There will be other things you need to do to it before you start using it, but see if it fires first.

owen jones

Cadet
well got time at last to sort engine out,put new plugs and it went on the 10th pull,start then stop 3 times then went ok afterwards well made up with the result thought it would cost a lot more than two plugs.just checking how much 2stroke oil to a liter should i use?im on 75ml per liter is that right ?

owen jones

Cadet
No Title

had a long run today,its a bit smokey and when i open the throttle quick it spluters for a few seconds and revs up ok any idea whats wrong,it ticks over ok but sounds a bit ruff,any idea on age from photo

Attachments

• photo263923.jpg
    photo263923.jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 0
  • photo263924.jpg
    photo263924.jpg
    90 KB · Views: 0

merc850

Commander
Circa 1979 - look for the Ser. Nr. on the side of the swivel bracket (I can see the tag in photo) didn't realize you're double posting. Replace the impeller 18 months of sitting will harden it and the vanes might break off. Judging by the look of it you should look over it closely 'cause the PO treated it poorly.

Last edited: