Carb question 2-stroke Merc 50 1983

Spadgubbe

Recruit
Hi guys,
Summer closing in, or well spring at least.
Bought a small old hardtop to use for transportation to and from our little summer house.
Didn't come w an engine but my father in law had an old Merc 50 from anno dazumal -1983 standing in the garage. Been sitting there for ages so I thought I'd give it a chance.
During the normal check ups after an engine has been unused for a longer while I found the venturi on the lower carb broken. Changed that after some new invented four letter words, got the carb installed and cranked the engine and it didn't hesitate to start. After some 20 years in a garage it fired up like it's never done anything else.
But, a massive fuel leak from the lower carb made me shut it down and remove the carburettor. The gasket was dried out and in multipe pieces, so at least part of the problem should be identified.
But... when I removed the fuel bowl I came up with a part falling out. Don't recall noticing this on the other carb and cant for my life figure out how it's supposed to be installed.
Found some exploded view online but it didn't make me any wiser.
The part is called "baffle" but I have no idea what it does.
Anyone who can point me in the right direction? Preferrably in non-tech terms since english isn't my first language.
I've added a couple of pic's so you'll know what I'm talking about.
Thanks in advance from a swede in distress 😁

Edit: Trying to upload a picture but getting error messaged.. Will try later

Last edited:

Spadgubbe

Recruit
Can't figure out how to attach a photo so I'll post a dropbox link instead. Hope that's k

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Motor will run fine with out it.------It may prevent leakage out the bowl vent when motor is tilted.-------Just put it back in it's place and peen over some material to hold it .---Or use a bit of epoxy to hold it.

Spadgubbe

Recruit
Ok, I could live w/o tilting the beast up. The boat will sit in freshwater good enough to drink 😀 Besides, it's a "get me there and back boat" to be used daily between marina and the summer island 10 mins away. I couldn't care less if there would be some growth on the underwater body
Putting it back in it's place.... uuuhm, that's the question.. where IS it's place?

Last edited: