Issues with water in exhaust with pics

GMCanuck

Cadet
No Title

I happened to replace this gasket last fall as well - it was allowing water from the engine's water jacket to escape into the engine compartment making a mess, so different issue...

I ended up slinging my power head from a scaffold to allow me to lift it just enough to access the gasket, without having to disconnect too much stuff. Then just laid the gasket in dry - no sealant - all went well. See photos below.

I'm also not sure how a water leak at this gasket would end up in your bottom end gear box. The gear box is sealed from the top - unless the seal around your vertical drive shaft is no good, letting water in past the water pump - again to related to the gasket. A couple of additional photos from a recent water pump replacement.

I'm mechanically inclined but not an outboard expert (yet), so I might be missing something.

Attachments

• photo263624.jpg
    photo263624.jpg
    215.7 KB · Views: 0
  • photo263625.jpg
    photo263625.jpg
    203.3 KB · Views: 0
  • photo263626.jpg
    photo263626.jpg
    220.7 KB · Views: 0
  • photo263627.jpg
    photo263627.jpg
    187.5 KB · Views: 0

merc850

Commander
It looks like gear lube is escaping from the shiftshaft boot in front of the driveshaft.

oba97

Petty Officer 1st Class
GMCanuck, I think I have two issues.

1. A leaking seal in my lower unit
2. Leaking gasket between powerhead and exhaust extension. How did you know yours was leaking?

GMCanuck

Cadet
No Title

GMCanuck, I think I have two issues.

1. A leaking seal in my lower unit
2. Leaking gasket between powerhead and exhaust extension. How did you know yours was leaking?

Just to be clear, all of the photos I've provided are not related to a "gear lube" issue, just thought they'd help illustrate stuff.

As for my gasket, like I said, mine was a COMPLETELY different issue. Last fall, I just about blew up my motor when 5 of the 6 mounting bolts for the power head (bolted from below) came loose while I was on the water. This allowed the gasket to crack loose and start spilling water from the motor's water jacket. Had I not noticed the water pouring out under the cowl, I could have lost the motor completely if the last bolt had let go. Can't imagine what that would have looked like!!! So I could not simply re-tighten the bolts since the gasket was torn - had to replace the gasket.

Some more photos...

Attachments

• photo263632.jpg
    photo263632.jpg
    149.3 KB · Views: 0
  • photo263633.jpg
    photo263633.jpg
    139.7 KB · Views: 0
  • photo263634.jpg
    photo263634.jpg
    167.3 KB · Views: 0

oba97

Petty Officer 1st Class
Over the winter I pulled my powerhead to do some work. I installed the new gasket and replaced the powerhead. I suspect the gasket isn't sealing completely because now I have the milkey stuff in my exhaust, all over my drive shaft,shift shaft when I pull my lower unit.

GMCanuck

Cadet
From what I understand, issues with this gasket would not cause the oily residue you describe. And since your bottom end oil is milky as well, you are getting water into the bottom end. I would tend to agree with Merc850 above...your shift rod boot (or perhaps drive shaft seal) is leaking, allowing water to enter your oil from the top, and allowing oil to move out of the gear box and mix with your exhaust water above.

oba97

Petty Officer 1st Class
Maybe I will do a pressure test to check out the LU. I figure I can put about 10psi in the lower unit and stick it in my tank and look for bubbles?

GMCanuck

Cadet
Sounds like an idea. Just make sure you update this thread when you find the solution, so that folks following this or reading it in the future get the full story of the repair and the results as well.

oba97

Petty Officer 1st Class
Ya, I'll let everyone know what I find. I hope to get a little work done this weekend but I have two young kids and a honey do listšŸ˜©

oba97

Petty Officer 1st Class
No Title

I did a couple of tests today.

1. I put some pressure on the lower unit and the found the seal on the shift shaft to be leaking. I put about 10psi in the LU, I hope that didn't cause the leak?

2. I hooked up a hose to my copper water pipe and turned on the hose. I ended up getting water out my tattletale and from my exhaust pipe and some from where the copper pipe connects. I believe this tells me that my gasket between the powhead and the exhaust extension is not sealing.

Here is a pic of the water hook up and of the device I made to pressure the LU.

Please let me know if I'm off base in my thoughts.

Attachments

• photo263710.jpg
    photo263710.jpg
    96 KB · Views: 0
  • photo263711.jpg
    photo263711.jpg
    110.5 KB · Views: 0

oba97

Petty Officer 1st Class
After doing some more reading it sounds like I should be seeing water coming out from the exhaust.

oba97

Petty Officer 1st Class
I got the shift shaft bushing assembly out using a screwdriver and a couple of wacks. I'll order a new assembly and see if that's stops the water. More to come.

oba97

Petty Officer 1st Class
I'm about to replace the shift shaft bushing. My service manual says to apply general marine lubricant to the inside of the seals. Can I use marine grease or is there something different I should be using?