Runs, great wont idle in nuetral

bluebear57

Petty Officer 3rd Class
my 89 150 mariner starts right up in fast idle and when shifted into gear it idles great and runs great, but when you slow down and shift into neutral it usually dies sometimes as if you turned the key off, but it will start right back up in fast idle. It will idle around in gear but when you put it in neutral sometimes it will be ok for a few minutes but usually it will die , makes loading and unloading a nightmare could it be the idle stabilizer your thoughts thank you

justa150merc

Cadet
my 89 150 mariner starts right up in fast idle and when shifted into gear it idles great and runs great, but when you slow down and shift into neutral it usually dies sometimes as if you turned the key off, but it will start right back up in fast idle. It will idle around in gear but when you put it in neutral sometimes it will be ok for a few minutes but usually it will die , makes loading and unloading a nightmare could it be the idle stabilizer your thoughts thank you

What is your normal idle rpm? It's possible that your carb idle air screws need adjustment to increase idle rpm a bit. If it's too low those older V6 carb motors will load up and die.

jabfd

Petty Officer 1st Class
Check your safety cut off switch on the shifter leakage you may need to adjusted it hope this helps

bluebear57

Petty Officer 3rd Class
also thank you for responding, you may be right I was just thinking about that because I have been having trouble with my trim switch and shifter thanks again