87 Blackmax 200 New Regulator/Rectifier Install

dsiekman

Senior Chief Petty Officer
At one point last summer my charging volts were bouncing around between 12-16v. It did not seem to make a lot of difference what speed the engine was running. I also had the tach showing between 5-6000 but I don't really believe it. This is a new to me old boat. A 21' Hydra Sport center console. From what I understand, and verified by prop to engine rpm calcs, it should run in the 50's when in that range. I was getting upper 20's. I was told that high random charging and oddball tach readings are a sign of a bad rectifier/regulator and that these engines were notorious for bad regulators. Not surprising for a 30 year old outboard. That said, I found a thread on here about replacing the old unit with a new combined rectifier/regulator and ordered the part. It is clear where the two yellows connect, obviously black is ground, and the grey is pretty clear as to where that goes. What I am want to make sure of before cutting off fittings is that he two reds are in fact supposed to go to the starter solenoid. Any direction and/or pics would be greatly appreciated.

sam am I

Commander
Yup, tie both red leads of the rec/reg together at/on the battery side stud of starter solenoid.........

dsiekman

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Not trying to beat a dead horse here, but I had a red that was going into the old rectifier. Does that get tied back to the positive stud too? For now I have it taped off. Fired it up and it was reading about 13v on the gauge. One odd thing, it seems to want to idle at about 1800. That seems higher than I remember.