Cooling question 1976 mercury 115hp 6 cyl.

Stevireno

Recruit
Hi there, I have replaced the water pump/impeller in the lower, ran it in a bucket and with muffs, not getting any water out of the tell. There is a tell at the top of the block( behind the yellow circle, under the cowl), there is a small nipple that leads to a black hose that runs down the starb. side of the motor to a rubber grommet where I assume the water will leak out letting me boat with confidence.. Well, not happening. I removed the small nipple and ran the motor for about 5 minutes in the bucket, revving it occasionally, ans still no water from the opening. I am getting water sprayng out of the exhaust. When i remove the black hose in the center of the photo (Blue circle), I get a stream of water going through it. i guess my question is, do I worry? Do I plug the tell hole and just hope for the best? Can I unplug another bold in the block that is along the cooling to reattach the tell to that one?

https://goo.gl/photos/itxXLy2tCPrbYMxH6

thanks for your time in helping me out...

-Steve

merc850

Commander
The black hose on the side is for oil transfer from the lower/middle bearing and is not for tell taling (also it should fit tightly if not replace it) put it back, the hose at the back is the tell tale and if water is coming out then it's good - if not the hose or cowl fitting is plugged.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
If you pulled the hose circled in blue and no water came out, you have a major problem. My guess is that the drive key for the impeller is missing or the water tube is not connected to the water pump housing. I would recommend you drop the gearcase and see what is the issue.

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
If you pulled the hose circled in blue and no water came out, you have a major problem. My guess is that the drive key for the impeller is missing or the water tube is not connected to the water pump housing. I would recommend you drop the gearcase and see what is the issue.

He said he was getting water out of the block when he removed the hose from the fitting. He just isn't getting water from the oil recirc fitting. Just a plugged tel-tale line/fitting

Stevireno

Recruit
Thanks Guys, I just messed up the lines. I thought the oil line was the tell.. All is good now...