Mercury 150 oil alarm beeping and corresponding minor power loss.

Mavis Hose

Recruit
I've got a circa 1990 150hp Mercury V6 with carbies. The oil alarm suddenly started beeping with a corresponding minor loss of engine power. Oil levels were checked and OK. The engine restarted Ok so we risked heading back under power. The engine was sluggish on take off and needed extra throttle to maintain normal cruising speed, and it sounded "flat" (not rough, as if it had dropped s cylinder; just off-song). After about three minutes of running with the continuous beeping the full engine power suddenly came back, the engine sounded crisper and the beeping stopped immediately. It was fine for the 20 minute run back to the ramp. It's the Easter break and I'd like to hit the water again but not if I'm likely to do damage or become stranded. Any clues or advice?

Dukedog

Captain
pre-mix tank fuel as a precaution while lookin' for tha problem.. sounds like a switch box maybe goin' south.. rotation sensor causin' alarm.. drop cylinder causin' runin' rough/flat.. but that jus a computer guess.. without being able ta reach out and touch tha motor, thats all ya gonna get is a guess........... from me anyway.

Mavis Hose

Recruit
Thanks Dukedog. I'm a dunce about such things so I'll keep it on the trailer and try to see a mechanic. Cheers.

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner
100% agree....switchbox problem as oil system reads of #5 cylinder(if I recall) ...