1976 mercury gear lube change

I was trying to change the gear lube on my 1976 mercury 7.5hp and I pumped the fluid into the flush hole, the hole on top, and it squirted out of a tiny hole, the hole I believe is tje hole where the water and gas mixture shoots out when it's running. Just wondering if I messes anything up or how to undo it.

RCO

Petty Officer 1st Class
The flush hole is to flush the powerhead with water. You need to remove the vent plug, and the fill/drain plug on the bottom of the LU. You fill from the bottom until it flows out the vent hole. Replace the washers before putting the plugs back in to save yourself from getting water in the lube.

wrench 3

Commander
The flush port is after the water pump but some of the oil may run down into the pump. If I were you I'd run some dish soap and water through it as soon as possible. Then flush it with water until it comes out clear.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Gear oil is to be put in from the bottom till it comes out the gear oil vent screw.-----Vent screw is much smaller that the drain / fill screw.--------Perhaps review some u-tube videos on this procedure.---A simple job which can be done wrong.------Mistakes can be expensive too.