Rough idling/weak cooling water output - 1999 150 HP Mercury EFI

janddryan

Recruit
Hi, 2 things that may go together: I've owned this 150 HP Mercury EFI for three years, and it's always been a rough idler. It's on a 1999 StarCraft open bow/runabout 18'. Once the RPM's get increased it definitely smooths out. This outboard is a real 'beast' on this boat then. Correspondingly, the water stream for cooling is kind of weak and sputtering at the same time. I do have a high-heat alarm, and it has never gone off. I had the impeller and seals replaced when I got it three years ago. Other people I have talked to said they would expect the stream to be more of a steady stream/'peeing'. Although better, it does seem kind of 'sputtering' rather than a real nice steady stream at higher RPM's also. I had it tuned up at that time too and checked for engine compression, etc. as to the rough idling. I had one shop service guy tell me that Mercury EFI outboards of that size and year range are known for that kind of rough idling. So the questions are:
​1. Do others here know of that behavior with these types of outboards running at idle like he says, and if so is there much you can do to improve? and
​2. What about the water stream for cooling, does that go hand in hand with that kind of idle?
​Thanks!