1997 25hp mercury 2 stroke no reverse

punchtool

Cadet
I have a 1997 25hp mercury that today while on the water decided not to go in reverse. I was putting around the dam and it stopped going in reverse.
Neutral and forward work fine. I pulled of the cover and checked the shift linkage. I pulled the shift linkage off and the cables all worked fine.
The cam closest to the front of the motor that the shift linkage is hooked to will not move back to go in reverse. I have only had the motor for a week.
I was going to try and do a water pump change myself. But adding this problem worries me. Can anyone help?
Thanks'

flyingscott

Fleet Admiral
Is this a tiller or remote model? Need a serial #. Look behind the carb at the shift linkage there. That linkage will also need to be disconnected to drop the lower unit.

Last edited:

flyingscott

Fleet Admiral
If the shift linkage behind the carb looks good. Look under the rubber boot where the shift rod comes through. Under there is a washer on the shift rod that controls the tilt assembly. See if that washer is jammed up in the wire.

punchtool

Cadet
flyingscott I wanted to thank you for your help. Motor is running perfect. It is people like you that make this a great site for info.
Again many thanks'

punchtool

Cadet
flyingscott it was just like you called it, washer was jammed up in the wire. Thanks again.