1971 Mercury 7.5 ignition problems

Hi all. I am kind of new to this outboard thing, so bear with me. I recently picked up a a 1971 Mercury 7.5Hp with known electrical issues. It was purchased as a spare /parts motor for the 1974 Merc 7.5 I bought a few weeks ago. Now, i bought it sight unseen, under the pretense it was a 1975. Turns out, it is a 1971, so I am not sure what is cross compatible. The 1974 used a CDI ignition (CDI was just replaced on it).
So, now I am left troubleshooting the older '71. I am not finding to much info on testing for the coils and stator. When i started meddling with it, I noted some weak spark on 1 plug, and after a few pulls, I have no spark on either.

What is the test procedure for these coils? They are green coils marked with "336-4409 B". Also, if they do need replacing, what is the compatible part number?

On the Stator side, What are the readings / test procedure for that. There is a ground wire from the stator to the breaker/ points mounting plate, an orange wire ( to the stop sw) and a green to the ignition coils.

I also noticed there is no condenser. is this normal for this type setup?

RCO

Petty Officer 1st Class
Disconnect the kill wire first to eliminate that as a possibility. Have you cleaned and adjusted the points? The resistance on the stator should be 3200-4000 ohms. Not sure on the coil offhand, but the resistance should be close to one another since it's unlikely they are both bad. I don't think there is an aftermarket coil for the Phasemaker ignition, but I could be wrong. The current Mercury part # is 336-4409A4.

Last edited:

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral
Also, check the wires for the points at the magneto, as they are known to deteriorate with age to the point of crumbling. The points themselves to generally get a little burned on the Phasemaker mag - that's normal. But if the mounting blocks are cracked, they can arc out. Doesn't hurt to clean the points, in any case. If they're really bad, new ones are available - for a price. Just hope the "donut" isn't bad, as they're worth more than the motor...

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Well---Post # 2 mentions disconnecting the kill switch.----Not the correct thing to do on these ignitions.

Well, I get 2 different readings from the coils. And as for the stator, I get verry high resistance in one direction (in the Meg ohm range , and nothing in the other direction. Definitely not in the K ohm range.

The insulator blocks do look like they have seen better days. Also a few cracks in them . I know that they can arc out to chassis, which would cause issues. I am wondering if that could have caused the stator and coil to fail. And yes, the point do need cleaning. Any tips on that?

Also, I can pickup a whole running power head with electicals, for 125 Canadian pesos. May be worth it if the stator is bad on this one. Cheaper then a replacement.

60sboater

Petty Officer 1st Class
It may indeed be cheaper. I spent over $200 fixing the stator and wiring on a '73 110 Phasemaker. The ignition coils were good.