1979 115hp Mercury leaking water out of the side! Can it be saved?

Curtisa1

Cadet
I just picked up a 79 115 merc for free. It sat for a year or so, but it basically fired right up and runs great. It has some corrosion around the sparkplugs and exhaust manifold cover, and is leaking water from one spark plug and a hole beside a bolt on the exhaust manifold cover. Should I replace the covers and gaskets or is it likely that this motor is too corroded to be saved? I have a video and some pictures of the leak, Im unable to post them on here right now though.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Fill the holes with silicone caulk and go boating. If you elect to replace the covers, there is a good chance most of the cover bolts will break.

If the covers rot out more, you can break the bolts then....

Curtisa1

Cadet
Oh man I would love to do that lol is it really not that bad? I'm wondering how bad it is underneath there, if it's badly corroded won't it wind up leaking water into the cylinders? I just checked the compression and it seems excellent? (138, 140, 140, 140, 140, 135)The spark plugs were a little bit gunked up too with what looked to be a little bit of water. But the motor did sit for a while and then I didn't run it long before checked the plugs. WilI I put the motor at risk filling that hole and continueing on? I'd hate to wreck a decent motor that I might be able to save.

Last edited:

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Your location is ?----------Is this a fresh water motor ??--------------That fact will determine if it might be a challenge or an easy fix.----------On a fresh water motor it likely is doable with some preparation to get bolts out.

Curtisa1

Cadet
My location is Vancouver island, and It's been a salt water motor, the hole in the exhaust manifold cover is cause by corrosion. I'm assuming the bolts are going to be a pain to get out, but if the motor runs so well and has good compression, would it be worth a shot?

racerone

Supreme Mariner
If you understand the concept of a " drilling fixture / drill guide bushings " then this may be a good project to do.-----------If you have to pay $ 100 + / hr shop rate it is best to find another motor.--------An inline 6 is a nice running motor and your decision.---------In my area I see these thing in the scrap pile all the time.----------Good fresh water motors doomed by the shop rate to keep them going.

Curtisa1

Cadet
Has anyone had experience filling a hole On a leaking exhaust manifold cover? JB weld was defineatly the first thin that crossed my mind as soon as I seen it lol. But am I going to damage the motor by ignoring what's happening under that manifold cover?

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
When the engine was running and the water was leaking out, was it a stream of water or was it spraying/spurting discharge?

Curtisa1

Cadet
It was a steady stream with the engine rpms, higher i revved it the stedier the stream. But it has a steady stream out of the "pee hole" too.

Curtisa1

Cadet
I have a video and, pics of it but there too large to upload into here, I don't know how to make them smaller I'm just using an iPad or my iPhone. I could send them to an email or text them if anyone wants to take a look.

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
Ok, it appears the inner cover is still good. A bit of JB Weld putty or other epoxy putty should do the trick. RTV can also be used.

Curtisa1

Cadet
Well, that's two for patch it, I'm going to go for it. Plan on using jb weld, I'll update how it holds up, thanks for the responses!

fisherman81654

Petty Officer 2nd Class
No Title

Use this one, Clean the area to be applied with lacquer thinner and scratch it up so the JB will stick to it.

Attachments

• photo261582.jpg
    photo261582.jpg
    26.6 KB · Views: 0