1977 1150 No Throttle responce

Nvenom8

Cadet
New/old boat just purchased and put together. The neutral idle works fine, but I have no idea how the shifter is suppose to move the throttle. After I feel the shift there is no more feeling in the lever and no throttle response. This is when running or not. Is this a timing issue or missing linkage or ... Thanks for your time.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Remove the wrap cowling. There should be two cables on the port side of the motor. Have someone push the throttle handle from the 12 o'clock position forward. The bottom (shift) cable should move first. As the throttle handle moves past the 2 o'clock position, the top (throttle) cable should start moving.

Post back what you see.

ajgraz

Lieutenant Commander
Do as Chris1956 says. If the throttle cable end at the motor does not move, then problem is in cable (maybe cable itself snapped inside sheath) or control box (e.g., cable end disconnected, cam broken/worn out). If it does move, then problem is at the motor: either the cable is disconnected at that end, or somewhere in the linkage between throttle cable and carbs.

(If as you say you feel NO RESISTANCE at all, then my money's on snapped cable, with a side bet on disconnected cable inside the control box)

Nvenom8

Cadet
First off, thanks much guys. Boat is in the water and I'm itching. When moving the shifter, the bottom or shift cable moves and shifts the motor, but no throttle linkage at all. The throttle linkage moves slightly with the neutral idle lever.

Nvenom8

Cadet
How does the throttle work? The neutral idle lever moves the throttle cable and in turn moves all the linkage to the butterfly including the distributor, only moves slightly but that's what is supposed to happen. The shifter lever moves shift cable and in turn shifts the motor in and out of forward and reverse. Nothing in the throttle linkage moves at all with the shift lever. Tested both sitting at dock not running and out on the river running. Where and how are the 2 cables linked? Something in the mercontrol? Thanks for your time.

ajgraz

Lieutenant Commander
Hmm, so the idle warmup lever moves the throttle cable, but the control's handle does not. Is that right?

If so, then the cable is not snapped, and it is connected at both ends.

I assume you have the old-school control box like this one:
http://www.vintageboatparts.com/part...x-125/a192.jpg

Makes me think you've got a worn out face cam, or a worn out (or fallen-off, or broken-off, or off-the-track) throttle cam roller inside the control box. I've had to replace all these parts (and more) over the years in my MerControl due to wear.

See section 2A in this manual:
https://www.4shared.com/web/preview/pdf/Gsz8M-KN

Last edited:

ajgraz

Lieutenant Commander
To explain:

The throttle cable is connected to the throttle cam. The handle is connected to the face cam, which moves the throttle cam via the throttle cam roller on a track in the face cam. The idle control lever also moves the throttle cam, but through a different means. Ergo, I believe your issue is in the face cam (worn out track) or in the throttle cam roller (missing, broken, fell off), or the section of the throttle cam that holds the roller is broken off.

Any way you slice it, you're opening that box!

Nvenom8

Cadet
Got her. There was something wrong in the controller, not sure what, all looks good and is now back together working. Thanks much guys/girls:)

ajgraz

Lieutenant Commander
Probably something like the throttle cam roller off its track on the face cam. Keep an eye out for this recurring, just in case there is a worn part in there.