1997 Mariner 20/25 Electric Start Problem

dinkmaster

Recruit
Hi. Recently purchased a boat with a 1997 Mariner 20/25 2 stroke Jet with electric start in the tiller handle. Began having intermittent problems with electric start. Bought dedicated start battery instead of tying into trolling motor battery. Didn't help. In fact, after that the intermittent problem became a permanent problem. Replaced the solenoid and that didn't work. I hear the solenoid click but that's all it does. Just wondering if a new starter is probably the issue or is it more likely something like the neutral start switch? I can manually crank the engine no problem and it runs great. I just want my electric start back cause I'm getting old. : ) Thanks for any advice or ideas.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
Welcome to iboats.

Well, your neutralswitch must be working if it allows you to start it with the pull rope.

Remove, clean/sand all cables, reconnect and tighten. This includes battery table and terminals on he battery, the solenoid, and the starter, and the ground connection..

If that doesn't do it, try jumping power directly to the starter. If it is slow, or will not spin or engage, the starter is likely dying.
Clean and rebuild, or replace.

flyingscott

Fleet Admiral
Your neutral switch on that motor has nothing to do with the manual start. The neutral safety switch only kills power to the electric starter on that motor. Since you are hearing the hearing the solenoid click I agree with roscoe about cleaning all the cables and jumping the starter.

wrench 3

Commander
If you have a volt meter you could connect it from the case on the starter to the battery stud on the starter and see if you have at least 9.5V when you hit the start button. An incandescent (old style) test light will also give you a good indication. If the light lights (or you have voltage) and the starter doesn't run then the starter is bad. If the light doesn't light, then follow back up the system one connection at a time until it does. Whatever connection, cable or device between the last point where you didn't have a light and where you did is the problem. Don't forget to test at both the cable end and the stud at each point.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
Your neutral switch on that motor has nothing to do with the manual start. The neutral safety switch only kills power to the electric starter on that motor. Since you are hearing the hearing the solenoid click I agree with roscoe about cleaning all the cables and jumping the starter.

Hmmm, dad has a 1996 model of that motor and it will not start by rope or starter if not in neutral.

Is there maybe a mechanical reason for this? I has assumed ( I know ) that it was the neutral switch.

Sorry for misleading info.

flyingscott

Fleet Admiral
Hmmm, dad has a 1996 model of that motor and it will not start by rope or starter if not in neutral.

Is there maybe a mechanical reason for this? I has assumed ( I know ) that it was the neutral switch.

Sorry for misleading info.

On the Merc 25 tiller and side shift the neutral safety switch acts as the ground for the solenoid. When in neutral it is grounded and when it goes into gear it breaks the ground circuit. The Recoil starter has a mechanical stop that locks the recoil when you advance the throttle to far.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
Thanks. Its been about 15 years since I used his boat, but remember it not starting in gear. thanks for clarification.

Last edited: