Mercury 650 Rotted Trigger Wiring

merc850

Commander
If you are careful you can rewire yours, I would if faced with limited options - just follow the instructions I've posted earlier...
distributorview.jpg

joepcdr

Seaman
If you are careful you can rewire yours, I would if faced with limited options - just follow the instructions I've posted earlier...

Thanks for the info. My son and I went to the garage this evening and started to pull things apart. I was actually able to get the whole distributor torn apart without incident. Not sure how I managed that, But I did! The grease that was so old it was almost hard. I had a heck of a time getting things cleaned up. But it's ready for me to grab my dremel and start chipping away at it.

joepcdr

Seaman
Been slowly grinding away at the epoxy crap on my trigger. Got down to a small copper clad board with 1 solder joint I can attach to. I'm taking my time to expose the other two wires. Hopefully they don't end up being on the bottom side of things. I'll keep you all posted on my progress with a couple of photos once I get everything exposed.

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner
Did the unit have spark before you started repairing ???If not its all just practice now,

joepcdr

Seaman
Did the unit have spark before you started repairing ???If not its all just practice now,

The wiring to it was rotted down to a nub and broken off. So there really was no way for me to actually test it. At this point it doesn't matter if I ruin it trying to explore to see if it's even fixable. In fact all the wiring on this motor is rotted in some way. The copperclad board I exposed actually had one of the solder points I needed for one of the wires that rotted off. I haven't gotten enough material off to expose the other two wires yet. But if I can make this work, I'd save myself $432. I figured if I can rebuild a 1970's audio console from a old AM radio station that I'm actually using. I should be able to handle this if I'm careful and not make and hasty decisions and wrong moves.

merc850

Commander
I went further into my old trigger and pulled the circuit board out (don't do it). triggerboard.jpg

joepcdr

Seaman
No Title

Well I got the terminals exposed! I even did it without breaking anything. LOL From left to right should wire as Black, Blue, and White. That's according to what was left of some of the wire that was/is still there.

Attachments

• photo261162.jpg
    photo261162.jpg
    110.7 KB · Views: 6

joepcdr

Seaman
Also I must note that I what I thought was a copper clad board turned out to be epoxy on the board. Poor lighting conditions made it hard to tell at the time or the post.

merc850

Commander
Even the circuit board is different than my 850's.
How's the bearing - does it turn freely with no "catching".

joepcdr

Seaman
Even the circuit board is different than my 850's.
How's the bearing - does it turn freely with no "catching".

The top and bottom bearings seem to be fine. In fact they better be because they are discontinued.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Bearings likely are available !---Just not from Mercury.---Wharehousing and stocking of parts is expensive.--They are using space for parts on the new motors.----Bearings will be available from a bearing supplier at a significant saving over factory parts.

merc850

Commander
Those are pre-lube sealed bearings - if you take them out there will be a Nr. on them that you can use at a bearing supply company or maybe this site.

60sboater

Petty Officer 1st Class
Good work Joe. I had to replace all the stator wiring (among other things) on my '73 9.8hp. I don't know when Mercury started using better wiring. Do you know what rating the new wire should be?

joepcdr

Seaman
Good work Joe. I had to replace all the stator wiring (among other things) on my '73 9.8hp. I don't know when Mercury started using better wiring. Do you know what rating the new wire should be?

From what I can tell based off the other wiring I have left. It looks like 12 gauge should do the trick. I've got a variety of different spools a wire in my shop. So I'll be doing some comparisons tomorrow.

60sboater

Petty Officer 1st Class
I'm mean the rating of the insulation in volts. CDI could tell you or info in a service manual.

joepcdr

Seaman
No Title

Wires soldered onto exposed post.

Attachments

• photo261357.jpg
    photo261357.jpg
    106.6 KB · Views: 4

joepcdr

Seaman
No Title

After I added heat shrink tubing and epoxy to reseal everything. I got one spot on the wire a little hot while heating the heat shrink and burned the white wire a little. But not enough to force me to have to redo it.

Attachments

• photo261358.jpg
    photo261358.jpg
    204.3 KB · Views: 4

joepcdr

Seaman
Looks like you've done it! After I finished my work I bench tested it - http://anythingondvd.net/contact6

That's my plan before I take the time and put it back on the motor. However, I've got a ton of other wiring to fix as well! The main wire harness is shot as well as all the battery cables. The only good wire I can find and I don't know how it survived is the wire coming off the charging coil.

Now I did do a compression check on all three cylinders and I'm coming up with 85lbs on all three cylinders. I know it's a little low. But for the age of the motor I'm giving it the ok for now. Knowing that at some point I might want to drop a new set of rings in it.