1989 Mercury Black Max 135 Oil alarm beep

Renoluck918

Recruit
Hello everyone,

I'm new and have a serious mind puzzle involving the oil alarm on my 1989 Mercury 135hp Blackmax.

Let us start with I have a brand new out of the box control module installed correct with no change.

Now for the fun...

When I turn the key to the on position without cranking the engine the oil alarm beep beep beep sounds. There is no system beeeep beep beep to say normal operation. Yes the oil is full the cap is new also. I when through the system one component at a time unplugging first the oil cap from the controller then the rotation sensor and then the green wire from the switch box (power pack). I then removed all components in the circuit. All actions maintained the beep beep beep. If I unplug either purple or brown it goes quite. Which with no power it should. So, now that I installed the new controller and went through all the troubleshooting again without any change I'm left scratching my head.

If anyone has any thoughts or a detailed troubleshooting method I may not be doing correctly please help me out. Thanks for all the help

Dukedog

Captain
"When I turn the key to the on position without cranking the engine the oil alarm beep beep beep sounds. There is no system beeeep beep beep to say normal operation."

are you saying tha beeping doesn't quit after tha self-check beeps?.. or it doesn't have tha three self-check beeps and goes straight to continuous beeps?

Last edited:

Dukedog

Captain
sounds like tha "new one" is bad................. did you say a "brown" shuts it off?..

GMCanuck

Cadet
Not sure what type of low oil switch your oil tank has (assuming your talking 2-stroke oil reservoir), but my 2004 Merc has a float in the tank with a magnetic washer that sets off the alarm when the float sinks to a certain level. Problem with mine (and others) is that the washer came loose from the underside of the float and would sink, setting off the alarm even though the float was floating.

Removed the float and washer and reattached the washer using RTV sealant - problem fixed.

This is a bit of an ordeal, but there are a few helpful videos on YouTube on how to remove/replace the float without cutting into the tank.

Maybe this helps you.

GMCanuck

P.S. Now able to post photos...

Last edited:

GMCanuck

Cadet
No Title

Photos...

Attachments

• photo263609.jpg
    photo263609.jpg
    68.7 KB · Views: 0