1985 Mercury 4.5 hp Water Tube

Cdnturbo1

Cadet
I have a 4.5 hp I acquired partially unassembled . The lower unit is off with the water tube disconnected. How do I get the water tube installed back in the leg so I can attach the lower unit? Is the a way to align it?

tpenfield

Staff member
I have a 4.5 hp I acquired partially unassembled . The lower unit is off with the water tube disconnected. How do I get the water tube installed back in the leg so I can attach the lower unit? Is the a way to align it?

There should be a small tube protruding from the water pump, facing upward. That tube mates with another tube that is within the drive shaft housing. Basic hand-eye coordination aligns them when the lower unit is inserted into the drive shaft housing.

Cdnturbo1

Cadet
It is the tube from within the drive unit that has become disconnected. How does it attach?

racerone

Supreme Mariner
The copper tube is held in at the top by a grommet.------It also has a washer up top.-----Some will argue here.---The factory original washer was plastic and has been known to melt and block water flow to the engine.-----I would advise to remove the powerhead to replace the grommet / install the water tube and install a newer / improved factory washer.----Not hard to do.