1986 Mercury 60hp take off power?

Bluefin503

Recruit
Team, I have a 1986 Mercury 60hp with a rebuilt power-head last season. I got the boat out of storage and went for my test run for this season and have major issue with power loss when throttling up. Boat starts fine and idled out of the marina with no issues, and if I slowly power up I can get to WOT get up on plane and stay there. If I just push the throttle down like normal the boat dies, no sputtering no trying to power up just like I shut the key off.... Originally I thought fuel system so I emptied my main tank cleaned it out refilled and tried again no change. I use Stabil fuel stabilizer and did winterize my tanks before the season. Not sure what my issue is because I can get to WOT slowly and stay there. Also when powering onto my trailer it kept coughing out even when going slow I played around with it for a bit and even running up slowly it would not power up past say 20% power, so I'm going to assume under a heavy load conditions I have power loss. Thoughts?

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral
Possible a jet or passage is partially plugged up. Not sure if there's a mid-range circuit on those carbs, but if there is, that's a likely culprit. I'd pull the carbs off, disassemble and thoroughly clean them.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Maybe the low speed jets need to be opened 1/2 turn.-----Will solve bogging on many motors.

ajgraz

Lieutenant Commander
90% chance dirty carbs.

The other 10% chance is REALLY dirty carbs.