1963 Merc 110 Fuel Pump.

BonePile

Cadet
I'm having a hard time finding a fuel pump assembly for my 110 merc of the same year. A lot of parts are obsolete for this model year. Is there anyway to retrofit a modern fuel pump into it?

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Lots of things you could do.--Look into cutting a diaphragm from say a Johnson fuel pump.--Cheapest / simplest fix I would say.----Very little goes wrong with those pumps.---I own some of those white Mercury motors if you question doing this.

BonePile

Cadet
To be more specific (not sure why I didn't mention it), the check valve seems to be missing from my fuel pump. We have already replaced the diaphragm in the fuel pump. The exact check valve replacement seems to be obsolete. I've checked oldmerc.com and other parts site for older mercurys. Maybe a check valve from another model may fit and be an adequate replacement?

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Look for Quicksilver 21-30430A 2. It's the check valve kit and the valves only come with gaskets and a diaphragm. Save the extra parts for the next diaphragm change.

BonePile

Cadet
I'll try that. I can't understand why they would come up as obsolete for the oldmerc.com site and others. Thank you!

GA_Boater

BonePile

Before you order - Does your fuel pump look like the one on the parts drawing in post # 3?

I may have grabbed the wrong kit. Item 2 in the drawing is the check valve and they are in the inlet and outlet fittings.

BonePile

Cadet
My pump does look like the one in post three. I believe item 2 is what I'm looking for. So that part won't be in the kit mentioned before?

GA_Boater

I did give the wrong part number.

That pump has what I'll call non-standard Mercury check valves. As I said, the valves fit the intake and output fittings instead of being inside the the pump. I found the correct valves last night and need to find them again.

GA_Boater

The check valves look like this. Some pics show the valves nested together.

checkvalve.PNG

BonePile

Cadet
Thanks for the help. Hopefully these will work. Of course winter decided to come back for more in upstate NY, so getting the boats out early doesnt seem wise right now.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
If I was stuck for parts on that motor I would fit a reliable pump off a 6 / 7.5 / 8 / 9.9 / 15 hp Johnson / Evinrude.-------Parts will be available for a long time.

BonePile

Cadet
Trying to figure out how to install the check valves. Old ones were in the pump but were missing the white seal located in the center of what would be the opening. Removed them and now need to figure out how to install the new ones.