Neutral start switch for old 50 HP Mercury

gpfishingdude

Chief Petty Officer
I had a heck of a time finding out why the old 50 horse wouldn't turn over until I bought a 12 volt tester that I could stick into the wiring and check for voltage. It turned out to be the neutral start switch and although I couldn't get to the switch I did manage to get the wires loose from it. I can bypass this switch very easily and the motor will start and stop with the key again. So I was wondering if I can run without the neutral start switch?

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Only if you always make sure the remote is in neutral for every start. I would replace the switch for safe starting.

merc850

Commander
Look on the switch it could be a "Micro Switch"; "McGill" or other brand, you might be able to find a replacement at an electronics store or a Mercury dealer. It wasn't made by Mercury.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
Major safety issue to start without that switch.

If in gear, boat can take off suddenly.

Or, you could chop a swimmer to pieces if they are near the prop.

Bigskyboat

Seaman
I may be mistaken but it could be what's called the mercury switch, designed so the engine will only start when it is in the down position, to prevent it from dry starting. If that's the case just bypass it and make sure your motor is lowered before you start it to prevent taking any seals out. It's just a thought. I am very inexperienced, but I had a 1969 merc 1250 and I had to bypass the "mercury" switch.

merc850

Commander
The mercury switch only shorts the ignition not prevents the starter from turning.

GA_Boater

No - The Neutral Start switch is inside the remote control. The mercury switch is a kill switch.

GA_Boater

No sweat, Big. We all learn along the way and help when we can.

gpfishingdude

Chief Petty Officer
The only time that I was checked by the fish and game department the only thing they asked for was the PFDs and to make sure that the safety kill lanyard was working. Of course lights and whistle and everything else. I'm going with the bypass.

gpfishingdude

Chief Petty Officer
The only time that I was checked by the fish and game department the only thing they asked for was the PFDs and to make sure that the safety kill lanyard was working. Of course lights and whistle and everything else. I'm going with the bypass. It doesn't really matter how you start the motor if there is somebody around the prop you shouldn't be starting it anyway.

GA_Boater

You have the throttle advanced when you are standing to start the boat or you are in a crowded area with other boats - What then?

The 1st gives you an opportunity to only go swimming if the lanyard is connected and the second may result in ramming another boat.

Why did you bother asking? :confused:

gpfishingdude

Chief Petty Officer
Looks like it doesn't really matter. I had to get another controller. This one should have everything working on it anyway.