Engine started smoking, have video. Help please

Vardar

Cadet
Hello guys, just got a Grady white Overnighter 20" supposedly 200hp 2004 Mercury.... Started it on driveway with hose attached, worked fine for few minutes, and smoke started coming out. What part is this? What do I need to replace here in order to drop the boat in the water for the first time? Any help is sincerely appreciated.
Model Number: 1150454ZD
Serial Number: 0T483632

Was told by seller that it is 2004, 200hp... Mechanic saw the model number and said it is 150... Very upset about it.. After tllig seller about it, he said he called the guy who sold him the engine and the guy said: The model number says its a 150 but its got a 200 in it, 150s and 200s fit in same case.. is such thing possible?

Attachments

• photo259746.jpg
    photo259746.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 1

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
And how did the 3rd party come to the conclusion it is a 200 hp incognito? How long did your seller have possession of it? Who knows what else is not right with it? I would tell the person you bought it from to return your money, give him the boat, and look for something else.

merc850

Commander
Looks like the rectifier/regulator, can be caused by bad battery, boosting or disconnecting + or - lead while engine is running or improperly wired. The alternator isn't meant to charge a low (-9v) battery.

Yegboats

Chief Petty Officer
0T483632 1150454ZD MERCURY 150 XR6 L carb
mfg 9/02/2001

Last edited:

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
A direct short somewhere in there, is that the rectifier?

fetch

Vardar

Cadet
And how did the 3rd party come to the conclusion it is a 200 hp incognito? How long did your seller have possession of it? Who knows what else is not right with it? I would tell the person you bought it from to return your money, give him the boat, and look for something else.
It is too late. i think he is a crook. I am gonna have to make the most of it.

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
Well if he mislead you it is called fraud. Any documentation where he is saying it is a 200hp? Sue him for the price of the boat, and plus court/legal costs. In a civil lawsuit, the threshold/tolerance of 'reasonable doubt' is far lower.

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
Get some Legal Advice, to see what options you have.

Dukedog

Captain
check build date stamp... base of number two cylinder on block half, maybe on flange.. m/d/y... check on welsh plug for different serial number.. can also check carb numbers............

Watermann

Yes rectifier. Mechanic will replace it

A mechanic? couple of screws and wire connectors. You'll go broke in a hurry owning a boat if you can't do some of the work yourself.

Vardar

Cadet
A mechanic? couple of screws and wire connectors. You'll go broke in a hurry owning a boat if you can't do some of the work yourself.

I can work on cars, and boats. I am new to boat engines. I did not even know what part that was.slow learning progress. Thank you for your smartassness though :)

Watermann

I can work on cars, and boats. I am new to boat engines. I did not even know what part that was.slow learning progress. Thank you for your smartassness though :)

Your welcome... :rolleyes:

jimbo_jwc

Ship Happens
Yes its probably shorted , jumped been worked on charged hard . Connectors get loose ,weak connection . go high resistance and burn of at leads too .Can go bad at any time . Its common problem on a lot of MC's. Can check w/ohmmeter or diode check on meter . A few have checked good and were fixed by crimping new stakon connectors. I copied your pic and zoomed in and I think the 12vdc fuse holder connectors melted . Should be the same for most and usually three wires on the ac/alternator side to rectifier to make the dc and if you loose one phase it loads two to much .

Last edited: