Didn't put motor away how I normally would

SkaterRace

Senior Chief Petty Officer
As boating season is coming soon (well boat repair/upgrade season anyway) in my area, I was thinking about the motor and how I have to fix the choke on it this spring. I then remembered that because I could not start the motor to put it away like I normally would I am wondering if just turning the key and running the starter for a few seconds but not turning over fully would have been enough for me to have it be okay and not damaged? I still did everything else normally but just the getting the last gas out part I missed. I am fearing I might have done some serious damage. Never had issues before but being an idiot we'll see.

If it is likely that I did damage how would I test for that without doing more damage?

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
The motor is probably toast, and will be in need of a total rebuild from the ground up.

​Or, just fix the choke and go boating, there's a 99% chance that it will need nothing, worst case the carb "might" need cleaning.

merc850

Commander
I've missed a few years fogging - motor ran perfectly so I don't think 1 year (actually maybe only 5 months) will have damaged it.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner
I've never fogged or really done much else other than changing lower unit oil and running some SeaFoam through the last tank. Never had any related issues.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Fix the choke and fill the tank with fresh gas and start her up. It may run kinda raggety for a few minutes until the old gas flushes out.

SkaterRace

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Thanks all, hoping it goes well in a month or so when I get it back out. Now just to figure out the choke issue, sadly got to wait on that one.