XR6 bogging down at 4k rpmS

Baldbrandon

Recruit
Hello all. Im new to this forum and im glad to be here. Let me give you a little background about me before I get into the meat and potatoes of all this. Im a 32 year old master electrician, but by no means am I a mechanic. Ill do an oil change or to hear and there, and I had to replace a PV joint on my explorer one time but other than that, I have no clue. Got a huge raise at work and decided it was time to buy a bass boat. The guy wanted 9k for an 04' nitro in decent shape but when I get there the thing doesnt start. The guy admits to me that the boat has 150 hours on it but hasnt been started in a year. I decided it was just a battery and took a gamble ( after working him down a couple grand). Thankfully I was right and the boat started right up. Once I got it out and WOT it would bog down at 4000 rpm and rev up and down until I let off of it. The wierd thing is, when I plane out and keep it at 3500 rpm, I can ride it all day no problem.

Ok, so on to the repairs. I took it to a "mechanic" to get it looked at. He immediately proclaimed that among other things it was dirty carbs from sitting for so long. I told him to do the bare minimum and some checks to see if I might get lucky and the little stuff irons it out. He rebuilt the fuel pump, water pump, replaced the spark plugs and the bubble and line. He also drained and refilled the fuel and oil tanks. I took the thing back out and it did the same thing. Decided I was in too deep at this point and i would do it myself.

After purchasing an online manual I was on my way. I removed the anti siphon valve and found that the threads were suuuuper mashed and cross threaded. I assumed that the fuel line was sucking air through there, but I couldnt find the part locally so I just mashed a new fitting in there. When I took it out, I tried to plane up and the old rack and pinion steering gave out completely and I almost lost control of the boat. You can see where Im going with this. When I inspected the cables under the console I saw 2 loose screws on the bracket. Whoever installed this thing set it up for failure. The engine was bogging down worse than before at this point and I could only turn to the right. Needless to say, it took me 9 tries to get the boat on the trailer, with the engine stalling out and no steering to speak of. I decided to not cheap it anymore when it comes to the important stuff. I ordered the seastar hydraulic steering system, a new pick up and fuel fitting and 25ft of fuel line. I replaced the fuel line going into the bubble, so the entire line going from the pickup into the fuel pump was new. After all this I took it out and have the same problem. The next day I started a complete tune up from scratch and gave it a compression test. I warmed it up for about 8 minutes or so. She was pissing warm and ready to go. Every single cylinder tested 30 psi WOT.

This is a 2 part question.

1. I realize that a difference of 15% or more compression cylinder to cylinder is what you have to look for but to me 30 psi is considerably lower than the 110-130 mark. Is there another issue making this lower than normal?

2. After reading the symptoms, what are other suggestions? Should I just continue with the full tune up or is there another place I should start?

Anything will help at this point guys. Thanks!

racerone

Supreme Mariner
One of 2 things.----Your compression tester is junk or your motor is junk.----First test with another gauge.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
I doubt the motor would run with 30 PSI. It certainly would not plane the boat.

Reving up/down is a symptom of a clogged fuel filter or clogged antisiphon valve. So you were on the right track. Is the primer bulb new? Does the boat have a water separator? If so, it may be clogged.

Baldbrandon

Recruit
Just pulled the air box off after running it for an it and there is a gas oil mix all over the intakes and the air box. I take it that's not a good thing.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Yes, not a good thing. Run with the airbox off and try to see where it is coming from. It is likely overflow of carbs or out of the recirculation system, or maybe enrichener is stuck open.

Baldbrandon

Recruit
Update: I decided to pull the carbs apart, clean and rebuild them. Found several jets being partially or completely blocked by the waxy build up. Before I reinstall the carbs, Im going to run some cleaner through the fuel lines and then flush them with regular fuel to get all that junk out.