Co-pilot installation trouble

AGENT 37

Petty Officer 1st Class
I ordered a tiller kit to convert my remote control/electric start 1A3G312EK model 30hp EFI four stroke to a tiller steer and got the 898103A92 co-pilot kit with it. While I was attempting to install this kit I realized that the 8mm bolt/stud that screws into the swivel bracket was too small to grip the clean new threads in the swivel bracket hole. There was no paint on the threads in the hole, they are not damaged, and no co-pilot has ever been installed on this low hours motor. when installing the bolt/stud it threaded very easily and felt sloppy so I pulled on it to check tightness and it pretty much came right out I was also able to gently push it all the way through and have it fall out the bottom of the bracket so the hole and threads are uniform all the way through the bracket. Am I correct to assume that it isn't supposed to be this way? Is there possibly a different kit with a different size swivel bracket bolt that I need? I also thought it was interesting that the co-pilot washer that has a key to lock into the swivel bracket has a 10mm oval hole in it, all other hardware has fits the 8mm bolt including nylon washers, metal washer, nylock nut and matched hole of the co-pilot handle.

AGENT 37

Petty Officer 1st Class
After communicating with Mercury tech services through our local dealership, it was determined that I somehow ended up with a swivel bracket drilled for a larger 3/8 - 24 threaded rod (used on the 1C series serial number motors) and not the OR family motor that I have that should use an 8mm threaded rod.

Now I get to figure out if this motor just needs parts from the 1C serial number family with 3/8 -24 threaded rod, a mix of parts from the OR serial number series and 1C serial number series, or some custom machining to get parts from the two families to work together.

On the schematics I've referenced, there isn't a single part number that is shared between the OR serial number family and the 1C serial number family co-pilot components. The u-shaped friction plate that came with the OR family kit that I have fits on the lower cowling of my motor, I'm not sure whether the 1C friction plate will line up the same or not.

What else can you do with a can of worms besides eat it one bite at a time?

AGENT 37

Petty Officer 1st Class
For anybody interested, I wound up installing an 3/8-24 OD x 8mm 1.25 ID bushing into the swivel bracket to install my co-pilot kit. Everything lines up and works fine.