1971 Merc 1150 Stator Question

I recently made a discovery while away on a boating trip. Yes...I should have noticed it sooner, but...OK, I discovered the 2 wires leading to the stator was pretty much gone. There was a nearby marina with a box of good used stators. We picked out one that was similar. The gap between stator and flywheel is about 3/16". this was as close as I could get until I get a new one ordered. What effect will this bigger gap have on performance, is there any chance of it causing other problems? If it is OK, I will use it for a while and order one before the summer season. Thanks for any advice.

merc850

Commander
I think it will lessen the output by a few amps but if you have a good battery it shouldn't make a huge difference, put a volt meter on the battery terminals run the motor and see if the voltage rises beyond 13v before you launch the boat.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
The original stator on your motor put out about 9A at high speed, much less at idle. It would keep the starting battery charged, as long as you have minimal electric accessories other than the ign system. If you get any charging out of the stator, it will likely meet your needs, provided you have no power-hungry accessories.

Does anyone have a manual for this motor that would give me the new part number for stator? Engine serial number is 3025940