Yamaha Gauges w/ Mercury Motor and Controls?

rsamsel

Seaman Apprentice
Hi experts-

Repowering my old Glasply. Had a Yamaha 90 with 703 controls. The lower unit for that setup is now on the bottom of Lake Washington (don't ask). I have a Yamaha trim gauge and a Yamaha tach that has 3 oil lights letting you know the oil level. I have repowered the boat with a 2008 Mercury 90 with Mercury controls.

My question is this: Is it possible to reuse the gauges. I am trying not to redo the entire dash with different size gauges. I don't need the oil level "stuff" but tach and trim would be nice. If you need more information by way of pics or more description let me know. The wiring the the Yamaha gauges is incredible...there are tons of wires and its very difficult to determine what the heck would go where. They are all factory connections though and all works perfectly.

Anybody have the knowledge to help me sort through this?

Rob
Maple Valley WA

rsamsel

Seaman Apprentice
The trim and tach should work the same
Same plugs as far as you know too? I am a little ahead of myself as my Merc controls don't get here until tomorrow and I will know alot more then. Do you know if the wire colors correspond between the brands?

Rob

alldodge

Staff member
Same plugs as far as you know too? I am a little ahead of myself as my Merc controls don't get here until tomorrow and I will know alot more then. Do you know if the wire colors correspond between the brands?

Rob

Do not know about the connector, just saying they both work the same way. The Tach probably uses the same setting if there both 2 cycle, but if the new one is a 4 cycle, the setting on the back will need to be changed