Why would my 1990 Mariner 115 stop turning over? Thanks!

texasfisher

Recruit
I have a 1990 mariner 115 that would not turn over. After trolling a mile to the dock I tried it again and it started. Once on the trailer I shut it down and tried to restart and nothing no turn over just nothing. I changed the terminals and checked the battery but still nothing. Did all the common sense checks like kill switch ect. Why would it turn over one time but not turn over another? Please help

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
Did you actually remove and clean the terminals, at the battery, and the motor itself? Including the ground at the motor? If you did, and still have an issue, a load test on the battery is next in line. It could be the start solenoid is getting bad, or the starter itself, does it even click or try to spin over? Sometimes the ignition switch itself will go bad, did ya try clicking the key a few times? Further testing is needed.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Pull the starter apart for inspection.--------Perhaps it needs new brushes.

rothfm

Ensign
If you are talking about no spin, not turning over at all.....

Get a diagram of the electrical, start cleaning up all connections. See if at key "start" positon you have 12v at the selenoid. The work back or foward from there.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
All of the above and one more. The Neutral switch in the remote control may be on it's way out or the control wasn't exactly in neutral. Mine is switch is touchy about being centered in neutral.

texasfisher

Recruit
terminals were changed and battery charged. Ill have to clean the terminals at the solenoid and starter. Thanks