Tank valve assembly

PISTONESAL

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hello,

I have a 75HP Mercury 2 stroke that has an oil tank that is missing the valve assembly. What is the purpose of this valve? Does anybody know? Please advise. thanks

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
If you're talking about the little round pop in vent, mine fell out a few years ago, I hunted around for about an hour or so and never found it, didn't think of it again until you asked about it.

PISTONESAL

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Yes that's it. Does anybody know what it's for and what is issue if it's missing does it cause anything to happen? Thanks

Mohawkmtrs

Chief Petty Officer
It's a vent for the oil tank...the check valve is to prevent oil from spilling out of the tank when you fully raise up the motor (for trailering, etc.)

PISTONESAL

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Ok. Well I had oil spill out from the oil fill in my tank when I trimmed the engine upp all the way and I googled the issue and there is a lot of people having this issue. I did what this person said on this forum see link. http://continuouswave.com/ubb/Forum3/HTML/016489.html

Are you stating if I put the valve assembly on that will resolve the oil leak? I don't need the rubber cap?

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
How about a serial number - The only to see the parts, missing or otherwise.

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
I just don't fill the oil tank, never found a good way to keep it from leaking.

PISTONESAL

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Look st that forum. It will show you the rubber seal you can get at home depot for like $3. That is how I solved it. My question is the valve assembly which consists of a cap and like a little platice valve needle. I already bought it for like $5 wonder if that is why it leaks?