175 SJ no start?

dreamcamino

Cadet
Hello folks, I have a problem obviously. Any help or guidance would be greatly appreciated. I bought a boat, 1998 regal with merc 175 SJ. The boat had been sitting for 3 years without fire. I have flushed gas, pulled spark plugs and sprayed penetrating oil in all cylinders, cleaned up carbs, and recharged battery. Couple days later, started up for about 10 seconds on first try. Turned off because I ordered new starter because it had some corrision on armature center spindle and pinion assembled wasn't releasing. Starter came in and before installing, tried to crank over and no voltage to any coils. Any clues? I have replaced starter, voltage regulator, key ignition switch. I am waiting for my DVA to show up to get more precise testing. Yes I have checked all fuses and are good. Kill switch tested good between open and closed. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Dukedog

Captain
"usually" no fire at all (all six) is kill circuit or stator...... did ya disconnect and isolate tha black/yellows from tha switch boxes and check for fire?

dreamcamino

Cadet
Duke dog thx for response. I have tested and no power to coils. My dva is suppose to be in tomorrow to test stator and switch box output correctly. I will update readings once it arrives. Thank you

Dukedog

Captain
i'm sure ya have already but check and cleaned ALL (motor) grounds, small and large?

dreamcamino

Cadet
I have checked all ground and continuity, and is all grounded. Kill switch is in place and tested kill switch in the open and closed position. Found out today, my dva won't be in until Tuesday now. Process of elimination:( thank you all for responses, I will keep updating

dreamcamino

Cadet
Dva is in and here are my results. Red stator lead 24, blue stator lead 212, black/yellow leads 201 and 200. Trigger resist within 1200-1250, stator resist all within spec. Coils without green 7, grnwht 11, grnred 12. Coils with grn 3, grnwht 2, grnred 2. So with this reading, I'm guessing both switch boxes are fried or could the timing have anything to do with this. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited: