1989 35hp dies at high rpm

bassprojoe

Recruit
My 35hp was hard to start and died at high rpm. I rebuilt the carb and that fixed the starting issues. It runs great up to about 90% throttle but shuts down during the last 10. If I back off when it starts to die then it continues to run. When I'm putting it on the trailer I can go full throttle without a problem. It's only when it hits high rpm that it dies. I've owned it for 9 years and it's been doing this the last 2. I was thinking of changing the switch box/power pack. Any thoughts?

bassprojoe

Recruit
What type of trouble shooting? I've rebuilt the fuel pump. Replaced the fuel line from the tank to the motor. Tried 2 different tanks. Rebuilt the carb as mentioned in the original post. What would my next step be?

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner
What type of trouble shooting? I've rebuilt the fuel pump. Replaced the fuel line from the tank to the motor. Tried 2 different tanks. Rebuilt the carb as mentioned in the original post. What would my next step be?

Squeeze the bulb when you have the problem and see if that corrects it. If so, do a fuel pump kit and check fuel lines for cracks....chech supply line from tank to engine for internal degredation...pieces of hose broken loose clogging the fuel supply, check the screen in the tank. I don't think you have a fuel filter in that engine but look for one anyway.