New to boats, 1981 Glastron HPV 165 questions

Glastron Boater

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Hello, I just recently bought my first boat. It's a 1981 Glastron HPV 165(if I recall correctly, waiting for the title to come back to verify)

it has a mercury 120 force for the engine.
Questions-
1- How can I verify the year and info on the outboard?
I'd like to know if original or replaced, then also get service manuals.

2- where can I get service manuals for the Glastron boat? Either download online or book to purchase.

I'm a car mechanic so I'm good with tools and mechanical knowledge, I just need the correct information. I'm currently replacing the water pump on the lower unit, I need to verify the outboard information to make sure I get the correct parts.

if I cannot get full manuals, I really would like wiring diagrams, it seems my boat needs an ignition switch and choke solenoid (?)

I am still diagnosing it, I need to check if I'm getting the main power feed to the switch first. Choke solenoid I'm not sure how to diagnose. Nothing happens if I send power to it using my power probe.

thanks in advance.

Glastron Boater

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Pictures of my boat when I brought it home.

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1485144189318.jpg
    FB_IMG_1485144189318.jpg
    49 KB · Views: 1
  • FB_IMG_1485144224808.jpg
    FB_IMG_1485144224808.jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 1

jbcurt00

Staff member
Not likely to find any helpful info in the Glastron owners manual, basic boating and safety info. No service manual or wiring diagrams exist either.

Welcome to iboats

Post the Model and serial number, they should help ID the year of your Force120.

Outboard factory service manuals are available. Ken Cook offers most of them.

Iboats sells outboatd manuals, but they are after market, similar to auto Haynes/Chilton manuals, not factory. But take a look and mention that you're a forum member, we get a discount on many of the products Iboats sells.

Glastron Boater

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Not likely to find any helpful info in the Glastron owners manual, basic boating and safety info. No service manual or wiring diagrams exist either.

Welcome to iboats

Post the Model and serial number, they should help ID the year of your Force120.

Outboard factory service manuals are available. Ken Cook offers most of them.

Iboats sells outboatd manuals, but they are after market, similar to auto Haynes/Chilton manuals, not factory. But take a look and mention that you're a forum member, we get a discount on many of the products Iboats sells.

Thanks,

Where would I find this serial number and model number?

I thought the force 120 was the model.

The only tag I see has the HP info.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner
Ignore the "Mercury" part. It's a Force motor. It's 120HP and will have an additional model number. Be aware that parts and service for these motors is getting harder to find.

Glastron Boater

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Ignore the "Mercury" part. It's a Force motor. It's 120HP and will have an additional model number. Be aware that parts and service for these motors is getting harder to find.

Thanks. I will have to look for a model number when I get back home this weekend. Is it normally on a tag on the block or something?

Currently I'm looking for a water pump, and the correct diagnosis on the choke.

I may need an ignition switch, but I was thinking of just putting a push button if I can't find one.

Glastron Boater

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Ignore the "Mercury" part. It's a Force motor.

is this the correct section to have posted this, or should I repost or transfer into the Force/Chrysler section?

I looked at the transom mount tag picture I took before I left for work, but it's very hard to read.

Also looked on the quick Links below and only saw the Force goes back to 84, is this correct?

I'll try to upload the pic of the tag, it didn't let me earlier.

Thanks.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner
I flagged your above post to have this thread moved to Chrysler/Force so I'm sure it'll be moved shortly. Yep Forces go back to '84 when US Marine bought Chrysler's outboard division. Brunswick/Mercury later bought them which is what you obviously have.

jbcurt00

Staff member
Moved

Use this topic to help get the Force 120 running good

Then start a new topic(s) for boat work (restoration forum) or re-wiring (electrical forum) if needed

SkiDad

Lieutenant Commander
That Force 120 is between 1990 and 1994. The Lower unit is single exhaust Chrysler version. Clymers makes a manual for force that covers 1984-1999. I have one if you have a specific question. Be aware that there is also a 2nd generation 120 that was made from 1995-1999 that has a different lower unit and mid section.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
The Clymer manuals are not that good.
They cover a BUNCH of models and aren't specific enough for serious work.
E-bay can have what you need.
Just don't buy the parts manual by mistake.

​Pic of under the cover can help ID the motor???
​Pics of the pack/s and tilt motor?
Pics of the fuel pump?

​Water pump, they used 2 styles of pumps.
The old had a housing with just soft metal and the new used a stainless insert.
​The newer used impeller: F694065 this should be the part#
The old style:F523065-1 impeller part#.
​The early 90's used 2 different fuel pumps.
​The pic of the motor will help ID that??

Look on the starter, sometimes the date is on there?
​Under the ignition system, on the block is a foundry stamp.
The stamp will have the year in the center.

​Later Forces could have a silver plug on the motor somewhere.
It will have the model # engraved on it.
​Should start OEand have 6 numbers. OE345543 something like that??

General service parts are still readily available.
​Service isn't. Most places don't want to work on them????
The guy with tools and some mechanical ability can fix them his self.

Post the motor pics??
Fill out the signature and include a location. You might be close to someone who can help???

Glastron Boater

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I flagged your above post to have this thread moved to Chrysler/Force so I'm sure it'll be moved shortly. Yep Forces go back to '84 when US Marine bought Chrysler's outboard division. Brunswick/Mercury later bought them which is what you obviously have.

Ok thanks. So definitely not the original outboard. Thanks

Glastron Boater

Petty Officer 3rd Class
That Force 120 is between 1990 and 1994. The Lower unit is single exhaust Chrysler version. Clymers makes a manual for force that covers 1984-1999. I have one if you have a specific question. Be aware that there is also a 2nd generation 120 that was made from 1995-1999 that has a different lower unit and mid section.

Thanks, that gets me closer to a few years. I'll look for a manual once I know what I have.

Glastron Boater

Petty Officer 3rd Class
The Clymer manuals are not that good.
They cover a BUNCH of models and aren't specific enough for serious work.
E-bay can have what you need.
Just don't buy the parts manual by mistake.

​Pic of under the cover can help ID the motor???
​Pics of the pack/s and tilt motor?
Pics of the fuel pump?

​Water pump, they used 2 styles of pumps.
The old had a housing with just soft metal and the new used a stainless insert.
​The newer used impeller: F694065 this should be the part#
The old style:F523065-1 impeller part#.
​The early 90's used 2 different fuel pumps.
​The pic of the motor will help ID that??

Look on the starter, sometimes the date is on there?
​Under the ignition system, on the block is a foundry stamp.
The stamp will have the year in the center.

​Later Forces could have a silver plug on the motor somewhere.
It will have the model # engraved on it.
​Should start OEand have 6 numbers. OE345543 something like that??

General service parts are still readily available.
​Service isn't. Most places don't want to work on them????
The guy with tools and some mechanical ability can fix them his self.

Post the motor pics??
Fill out the signature and include a location. You might be close to someone who can help???

I can look at all those things when I get back home this weekend.

I have pics of the motor and electronics, just having issues with the size limits on this size. I'll upload them to my photobucket later on and post here.

I have pics of the water pump as well. It is an aluminum housing and a plastic almost rubbery? impeller.

I plan to do all my own work, although I'm learning, I am great with my hands, and found this great site for information.

I'll get on updating my signature here shortly, but until then, I'm located in Central Florida, lake county.

Thanks again for all the info, hopefully my pics are good enough when I get them uploaded.

Glastron Boater

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Still working on uploading pics. Either having phone issues or I'm doing something wrong. Will try from computer later.

Just got back home and looked at a few things on it as I was showing my dad some things on it.

Numbers on the starter are hard to read, but with better light I'll write them down and take pics.

I did see a stamp on the carbs and both are stamped 98.

The transom clamp tag does read US Marine and has model and serial number, and the HP information. It is hard to read, and I did not see a year.

I'm off the next couple days, I plan to look back at everything mentioned above, and uploading pics.

Thank for the help so far and please keep on replying with your help. Great help so far and now I'm home I can check it out right away. I've learned so much already.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
Could be the 98 models sticker won't include a year???
​If the serial# starts OEand 6 numbers?? you can figure the year from there.

SkiDad

Lieutenant Commander
Still working on uploading pics. Either having phone issues or I'm doing something wrong. Will try from computer later.

usually the pictures are too big - what I usually do if I have a windows computer is download the pic to my computer - open it up in paint and resize to 50% and save - if that is still too large do it again