Carburetor question for Mercury 60hp (newby, PLEASE HELP)

Bmorse

Recruit
I'm new here, and new to outboards, so please bear with me. I have a 1995 Mercury 2 stroke 60hp ELPTO (3 cylinder),
Serial # 0G137779. All 3 carburetors on the motor have a number (same number for all 3 carbs) located on the port side. The number is "WME 3301-824854-C". When I look up that carburetor number, it comes back to different motors other than mine. When I look up my specific motor, it shows "WME-22/22B/23/24/35" OR "WME-26/27/28/28/43/44/45". All three carbs need to be cleaned/ rebuilt and I'm trying to figure out which rebuild kit/ part number to purchase. Before I spend the time and money on these carbs, I have a few questions.

My questions are:
1. How can I determine if the model of the carbs that are currently on my motor, came with my motor?
​2. How can I determine exactly which model carb is supposed to be on my motor (for my specific year, several carb models are listed/ many possibilities)
​2. Can I use the carbs that are currently on my motor, OR, can it cause a problem if determined these carbs are NOT for this motor?
​3. If these carbs are NOT the correct carbs, can I change any internal parts (ie. jets etc...) to make them function properly with my motor?
​4. If needed, where can I buy new or refurbished carbs that are the correct carbs for my motor?

​Sorry so long, but wanted to be as detailed as possible so I can receive the help I need. Thanks in advance for any help or information provided.

​Back story:
I recently bought the motor from a guy who I "thought" knew about outboards, but I'm now questioning if I was taken advantage of due to my lack of knowledge. The guy ran the motor for me (idle with muffs) prior to me purchasing, but with having a limited amount of knowledge, it wouldn't be too difficult to fool me at this point. Motor seemed to run/idle fine, but when I got it home and removed 2 fuel lines to check their condition, one was almost completely deteriorated inside and the other had old fuel inside that was hard and looked like clear/ yellowish grains of sand. Time to clean the entire fuel system, which is why I'm rebuilding the carbs along with the fuel pump and replacing all hoses.

Thanks again, Brian Morse.

Yegboats

Chief Petty Officer
Thats likely just the Mercury casting number. Can you check and see if there is a WME-45 or WME-22b-1 (2) (3) or WME-28 number on the bottom of the carb mounting flange?

Bmorse

Recruit
At Yagboats: Directly on the bottom of mounting surface of the carb?? Meaning remove the carbs in order to get the number from the underside? (sorry, I feel dumb asking that, but just trying to clarify. I'll remove the carbs and check). Thanks

Thank you GA_Boater.

Bmorse

Recruit
GA_Boater, I looked up that part number and am ready to purchase 3 of those kits, but I just have a quick question before I do. Since the jets differ in each carb, does the kit you posted a link to come with the correct replacement jets? I looked at a pic of the kit, but again, I'm new at this so I can't tell whether or not the correct jets for my year motor are included. Thanks in adavance.

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner
That is a repair kit which you don't need...you need the gasket kit which is OEM# 1395-8112231 around $7 ea or the Serria 18-7211-1 kits. The jet do not come with any kit as you use your existing ones.

gpfishingdude

Chief Petty Officer
I took the carbs off of my old Mercury and took them to the shop and let them rebuild them. If I remember right I had to tune them in after I remounted them. There is an order to how you have to do it.