No fire on any cylinder

I have searched and tried everything I can that I have seen in these forums and I'm stumped.

I have a 83 80hp Mercury blue line around cover.

I have no fire on any of the four plugs but the motor is turning over fine when turn key, and here is what I have checked so far.

Removed both yellow wires from stator even though I believe those are charging wires. No fire

Removed both black/yellow wires. No fire

Ran wire directly from battery to fuse box. No fire

Tested power from battery to starter and Selenoid. Tested power fine.

Tested the rectifier (which has one red and (two yellow from stator to it)). Have power on red and the middle yellow no power to second yellow

Where do I go next or is the rectifier or stator bad?

Last edited:

rjcamel2355

Petty Officer 1st Class
Sounds like a power pack issue to me.

Go to CDIelectronics.com
Find your particular motor, and test the stator Per their instructions.

However, Like I said, I believe you have a bad switchbox/powerpack and/or a loose or bad connection.

merc850

Commander
You're going to have to supply a ser. nr. for more specific help, there are distributor models and non-distributor ones.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
A 1983 four cylinder Merc would normally have ADI ignition with 4 coils and a single switchbox. Power to drive the ignition originates from the stator, and the battery plays no role in ignition.

The CDI Electronics web site has a troubleshooting procedure for your motor and CDI sells replacement parts.

Make sure the black/yellow wire is not grounded, when the ign key is on. That wire is designed to kill the spark, when the key is shut off, it is grounded. Disconnect it at the switchbox and see if spark returns.