1989 merc 115hp compression

Im looking at an 89 mercury 115hp and was wondering about compression. I performed a test on it, cold engine and all cylinders checked dead on 110psi. Is this ok? Thanks

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Welcome aboard.

Having even numbers is a good sign. Has the motor been sitting and not used for a while? Probably most important - How does it run?

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
Wee tiny bit low, but Acceptable I'd say.
Few variables as you know. If she isn't warm with rings expanded, will always read a bit low.
Presumably throttle was open too.
Unless the gauge is calibrated, can be a bit of a guess too, but if they all the same roughly and above 100, I'd say nothing to worry about.
Good luck.

Motor was cold had only been ran about 10 seconds before i done the test. I forgot to hold the carbs at wot, they were just at idle. Supposedly it hasnt been ran since october and it fired right up. Sounded good. Thanks everyone.

So will compression get better with a warm engine and wot or worse? What should my compression have beeen? The guy is asking 1200 for motor and controls, has a stainless prop, is it worth it you think? Its a clean motor.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Warm or cold does nor matter.----Wide open throttle does not affect compression either !

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
Traditionally, compression will see better results when the engine is warm......of course.

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
The idea behind wot, is to give the engine the best chance at breathing in as much air as possible when turning over during a compressions test. i am not certain why raceron has said this.

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
Was more referring to the warm engine bit racerone. Take your point on the 2 stroke engine, but standard practice, I think you'll find.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Why do motors start at idle, both 2 and 4 stroke. Has anyone checked compression at idle and wot and seen a repeatable difference?

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner
Has anyone checked compression at idle and wot and seen a repeatable difference?
On Merc and Johnrude V-6 motors with idle relief notch/hole there is a 10-15 psi increase from idle to WOT per the factory!!!

racerone

Supreme Mariner
At idle they only run on the top 2 cylinders.---At higher ( above 1800 rpm ) the bottom 2 carburetors kick in.--In my opinion they are not meant for prolonged low speed operation.

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
if it has oil injection, disconnect it and mix the tank 50:1....and it will be. Like previous poster mentioned. Might foul the plugs at sustained low revs.

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
Is it an inline 6 cylinder or 4 ? '89 must be close to the change over period.

gbrowne9

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have had a 115 4 cylinder for 8 years and it been one of the best engines i,ve owned.great on gas.