Mercury 400 E Ignition Switch Wiring

Fabuglas

Seaman Apprentice
I have an external harness I believe is correct for the motor. The male plug of the external harness mates nicely with the female receptacle plug of the internal harness at the power head. The external harness has 6 wires in it (Green) (Black) (White) (Yellow) (Blue) (Red) all the same gauge wire. I want to wire this external harness to a 6 pole, push to choke, ignition switch I picked up. I do not have a wiring diagram for the ignition switch. Two of its 6 poles are marked "M", The other poles are marked "I", "S" "B" "A".
I checked continuity of all 6 wires in the external harness from the female plug to the ignition switch end. All have continuity with the exception of the Green wire.
Is it possible to wire the ignition switch I have into this harness and have all things work the way they should, including the push to choke feature for the electric choke? If so, can anyone direct me as to what color wire in the harness connects to each letter of the switch?

racerone

Supreme Mariner
I have 6 or more of these white motors.----------Find your wiring diagram on line.--------------master tech marine.--------It is all there for you.

Fabuglas

Seaman Apprentice
Racerone, Your response is confusing to me. I have the repair manuals for the motor which have the same wiring diagrams as on Master tech site. To me the diagrams do not indicate which color wire in the harness, going to the ignition switch, serve what function. Also, as stated in my post, I do not have an original ignition switch so the letter designations on my switch will not match those on the wiring diagram which assumes an original factory switch and remote choke button. If the info I need is truly in the factory wiring diagram, it is beyond me to comprehend it.
Merc850, I will be down working on the motor later today and will provide you with the model/year/serial number info off the motor plate. I can also email you a pic of the ignition switch I am trying to wire and the wires coming out of the harness if that is helpful.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Sorry, I was not aware that you have a manual.-----Should all be easy to find in the manual then.

merc850

Commander
This might be the diagram you have 4cyl-wiringsmall.jpg

if you can't work it out with a diagram use an Ohmmeter to check from switch to connector.
The mercury switch is a safety device, if you hit something the shocks limit the motor's tilt, cushioning it on reentry and the switch cuts the power until the motor returns to the transom. You can remove it.

Fabuglas

Seaman Apprentice
Merc850, yes. That is the diagram I have. Model Merc 400 EL, Serial Number 1285883. From records posted on the net I believe this to be a 1960 model year?
Any chance you can tell me which color wire goes to which terminal letter on my switch? Can I assume I= ignition, B= Battery and S = Start? Best guess on what goes to "A" and the two "M" terminals is appreciated? Thanks

Fabuglas

Seaman Apprentice
Diagram indicates E, B, F, D, A, & O terminals on factory switch with O being unused.

merc850

Commander
I would figure it out this way: Off position connects White to ground to short out the magneto (do not apply + power to mag) and stop motor, next position puts power to push choke Blue, the next [spring loaded] position starts motor Yellow. Positive power is Green and the rectifier output Black is tied to the terminal.
I would meter the switch and ignore the letters on it.