2000 mercury 8hp 4 stroke no oil plugs.

Guy I hate to say this but I'm a Nascar Mechanic and my little mercury 8hp 4 stroke has no dips stick or oil filler plug or drain plug, I have removed the starter, the carb, all electrical and I can't find anything...
Serial number OT080686 2000 model 8M brunswick Corp

Do we not have any mercury guys here that might know this quickly. My son's gonna wanna fish after Christmas Santa gifts..today the motor started running hot one thing was a lean mixture screw...second thing I believe is 2 yr old oil...I just bought the motor

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Is it a 4 stroke ?-------Do you see a timing belt / camshaft ?

Last edited:

achris

More fish than mountain goat
Serial number lookup says that's a 2 stroke.... That's why you can't find a dipstick.... or anything else related to crankcase oil.... It don't got none...

Chris......

Last edited:

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Post pictures of this motor / powerhead.----And if it is a 2 stroke and you ran on straight gas you may not be going fishing.

achris

Post pictures of this motor / powerhead.----And if it is a 2 stroke and you ran on straight gas you may not be going fishing.

Was going to mention that, but seeing as he's a 'Nascar mechanic' figured he should already have figured that out..... :facepalm:

Yes it is a four stroke and here are some pics... I just bought this boat and motor of the guy and was told it a four-stroke.

The guy I bought it from said he only ran straight gas for 2 years...I believe you are right though...it make sense now...holly crap, how is this motor togetber...

achris

Upload your pictures to a sharing site, like photobucket, then post the links. They then show as the picture here.

Hey guys it 2 stroke and just put 50.1 in it and I guess the guy had to adjust the crap out of it to get to run. Does Andy know know all the factory settings? I know airfield is 1.5, but what about the low needle and the 2 Philip's heads on linkage side? Sorry to be such a pain...

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
If he or you ran straight gas the motor it's toast, and you don't need to change anything to make it run on straight gas or pre-mix, it will run about the same on either one.

Check the compression before doing anything else, if it's low or uneven no amount of adjusting will make it run well.

Compression is fine, runs food just a little rough running, due to the previous guy not know what he was doing, according to specs I'm 4 psi under factory