1994 TWIN 135 hp black max V6's switchbox failure

kramerpage

Chief Petty Officer
My last trip out my port motor experienced a reduction of 1000 rpm at WOT. The marina checked compression and said it was great. They state they found a faulty switchbox. Replacement is 238.00 for part and 2hrs labor including troubleshooting. MY question is can a faulty switchbox reduce wot 1000 rpm. The motor still ran but had less power throughout the entire rpm range. Thank you for your help.

kramerpage

Chief Petty Officer
OK Thank you. I have a spare parts motor. I think I'll go that route first. Again thanks

kramerpage

Chief Petty Officer
One more thing. I keep reading post that state they need to be replaced in pairs due to voltage bias. Is this a normal practice. My short shaft donor 135 has two but I can't wrap my head around it. Thank you

Dukedog

Captain
One more thing. I keep reading post that state they need to be replaced in pairs due to voltage bias. Is this a normal practice. My short shaft donor 135 has two but I can't wrap my head around it. Thank you

yep.. bad bias can lead to wrong "bad" switch box sometimes!!! check ebay.. new can be had for under a coupla hundred!.. any 7778A will be ok!