Mercury slips out of gear

I have a 40hp 2 stroke 2002 mercury motor. It slipped out of forward gear and needed a tow. Tow cost more than fix but I don't know how it was fixed. Possibly from the lower unit. It is now showing signs of slipping again, When I start in nutural, the prop is actually turning forward.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Is this with the motor on the trailer ?----------Common for the prop to rotate when in nuetral.

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner
Just start doing this? Using on tiller handle or remotes? If remotes disconnect remote cable at engine with control in N and wiggled for a good center position. Using the post to which the remote center cable connects, find N and wiggle for best center.

Reconnect the center cable to the post but not the brass barrel, without changing the position of either the engine or remote handle. Check the position of the barrel. If not perfectly centered over the slot where it rides, roll it up or down the shaft till it does. Then reinstall and check. If tiller handle, maybe Racer one knows how to set that up; I don't.

This happens with the motor in the water at the dock. The last time it was fixed a few years ago I think the work was done on a nut at the bottom of the lower unit. I lost my service manual to Sandy so I have no good reference to go by.