crankshaft/race bearings. alignment set pin

taejeron4

Cadet
I have a 94 Merc 75 hp 3 cylinder.
​during a rebuild process of a blown piston I encountered a new problem.
​where the crankshaft sits in the motor head, there are three alignment pins for the crankshaft race bearings. I am figuring damage occurred during the process of removing and laying crank in and out of motor head. either way..the pins need to be removed as one is crushed and the other t20, the tops have mushroomed....I have ordered the new pins, yet can someone give me a good idea how to remove the old ones..
​Thanks....Mike

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Drill a 1/8" hole through the pin.----Only drill through the pin.----Now fill the hole with thick oil.------Now use a 1/8" diameter pin and a hammer and use oil pressure to drive the pin out.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Grease works to with the method above

taejeron4

Cadet
suggestion on the drill bit??? tried 3 different cold steel, titanium and kobalt bits and doesn't budge the metal

sam am I

Commander
These in the journals?

SAM_3604.JPG

I never needed to remove specifically those ^^^ but, I removed all the other align pins/dows in the same block (head side and block half seen in pic) with just a pair of bull nose pliers...........Have you tried just pulling/twisting them out with a good set of pliers?? They're seated in aluminum and should slide right out even if they grew a little but I'm assuming there is some meat left to grab on thou, not sure otherwise, maybe have to take to a machinist and he'll bolt the half under a drill press........

I'm sure those pins are Kryptonite hardened steel and won't drill worth a s**t......

Last edited:

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Original poster clearly mentioned that pins were " mushroomed "------That suggests to me that they are soft and can be drilled !!